1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Diablo 3

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Parge, 2 Aug 2010.

1. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I am pretty excited about this! I'm quite surprised they haven't announced it for consoles as well, I think the gameplay would lend itself well to a joypad.

Also, Amazon have it on preorder for just £22.97! Bargain!

2. knuck

knuck Hate your face

How could it work well with a gamepad ? It would be impossible to move the cursor fast enough and would be a pain in the ass. It's a PC game and it won't change unless Sony and Microsoft (especially the latter) introduce good mouse support, which won't happen.

With that said, I'm pretty sure I'm going to get it when it comes out :)

I have been playing lots of games for the past few months and it feels good to like different games again. For about 8 years all I liked was UT. All the rest bored me

3. Parge

I was thinking that you'd control the character with the analogue sticks instead of the mouse, like they did with Balders Gate on the original Xbox (LOVE that game)

4. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

Huh? Diablo came out on the PS1 and it was VERY playable.

5. Shaftydude

Shaftydude Minimodder

Would amazon be bound to that price? strange them going this low when SC2 is so expensive where their prices are mostly round £35.

6. rollo

rollo Modder

yes they are price bound

7. knuck

knuck Hate your face

You mean like Red Alert was ? :hehe:

8. ChromeX

ChromeX Minimodder

No, diablo on the ps1 was actually a pretty decent game, it was the first time I played it. FAR better on the PC though. C&C was just awful :S I can safely say i'll be buying D3 the day it comes out!

9. Altron

Altron Minimodder

That's cool.

I had a run with D2 for a couple years (from 1.08 until the beginning of the third 1.10 new ladder, iirc, if anyone else remembers)

Loved it, hated it, played it nonstop. It's not something I could ever pick up again. The game was horrifically imbalanced, but in a perfect way.

There were so many duped or hacked items, which would randomly disappear in "rust storms". There was so little variety that you pretty much had to power level to get anywhere at all. It was ridiculously hard to get good items, because monsters rarely if ever dropped them, and unlike most RPGs, gold had no meaning after the first couple hours, because you couldn't buy anything worthwhile. So you just had to trade for all sorts of duped items. I somehow, over years, amassed a huge item collection despite never actively searching for them, but just by trading.

It was broken, but it was magnificently broken. You would power level your character to level 80-85, then jump into PvP. You'd have nothing but top-tier items, stuff that would take tens of thousands of hours to find during normal gameplay, but the dupes were so prevalent that everyone had them. It was an epic game.

I had at least a dozen accounts with eight characters each. Blizzard decided to limit the inventory sizes, so any given good player would have at least twenty level-1 "mule" characters to just store items. Every week or two, you'd have to go log on each to "perm" them and prevent them being classified as inactive and deleted.

I had a 1.09 main account, a 1.10 main account, a MF account, two ladder accounts, a ladder mule, two or three 1.09 mules, and two or three 1.10 mules with 8 characters each.

I played with a ragtag bunch of guys, not an organized clan or anything, but friends of friends and a big group. We talked to each other all the time, and were very close.

In 2005 (the 5-year mark is coming up in just over two weeks), our de-facto leader, a 25 year old guy, shot himself. Within a month or two, most of us quit. I was 16 and I spent two hours on the phone with the guy's widow, explaining what the fantasy world he escaped to every night was like, and how he was a normal, happy person in it, not completely depressed like he was in real life.

Heavy ****, man. First time I've ever told anyone that. Not even the other people we played with, who just figured he quit the game. Not my friends, or my family.

Diablo, for me, is a place that is best to exist only in my memories. Diablo 3 cannot surpass the happiness that Diablo 2 brought me, nor could it match the sadness Diablo 2 brought me.

TLDR - I will never buy another Diablo game.

dark_avenger likes this.
  10. Parge

Woah! That is heavy man! Though it does show you the power of computer games and their ability to transport you to another place.

I can understand your reasoning for not playing Diablo 3, but then again, maybe you should play it as a tribute to him, I'm sure it will be a great game!

Last edited: 3 Aug 2010
  11. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

just pre-oredered it lol its a good price and i dont think its gunna get cheaper.

however im pretty sure its not out for around a year or so

12. Parge

Did you have to pay for it outright?

13. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

nope they dont charge till they ship it

14. hyder

hyder horrible horrible horrible

I'm hoping we get some more info at Blizzcon this year. There has been hardly info for about a year or so.

I'm also hoping that its early 2011. I can't wait much longer :S

15. Parge

Preordering today!

16. Altron

Altron Minimodder

meh, I just don't have the time that I did when I was an unemployed high school student. The game we played wasn't Diablo 2, the way blizzard meant to play it. We played a completely broken game, 'ruined' by duped items and hacks, but in such a way that it was fair and balanced and more fun than the original. It's the only game I ever used 'cheats' on (maphack, because -everyone- used it and it didn't give you an advantage in PvP, just PvM)

I'm sure that most of those things will be 'fixed' to prevent maphacking and duping, so D3 won't be the same.

17. ChEsTeH

ChEsTeH What's a Dremel?

Will there be a Collectors edition for this ? surely there will be knowing Blizz.

18. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

I will never ever play Diablo 2 again. All this duping was hell, loosing your lvl 90+ hardcore char due to some lag caused by some duping site was no fun. Hopefully Diablo 3 will steer in the same direction as Diablo 2.

Somehow I doubt it though. We get a little preview by the last D2 patch 1.13. No more casters in the Sanctuarium, no more iron maiden on melees? Even with okay items it must be pretty much impossible to die on hell now if you're a bit careful. I bet they'll dumb down the game to cater to the WoW generation. D2 was a game for hardcore players, esp. on higher difficulties.

19. Parge

I hope they do dumb it down, it looks great, but I don't have time to level up to 90+!

20. hyder

hyder horrible horrible horrible

Come on Iron Maiden is ridiculous. Its a game about hitting things. That spell stops you hitting things. No one liked it.