1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

U-2 spy plane crashes LA air traffic control

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Cthippo, 5 May 2014.

1. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Source

Interesting little glitch there.

I have to wonder if the U-2 might not be a cover story. Certainly it's plausible, both the Air Force and NASA fly U-2s out of California and the aircraft is capable of the altitudes in question, but I can't help wondering if it's not a cover story for some other aircraft that we're not supposed to know about.

In his Book Hunt for Zero Point, Janes Defense Weekly correspondent Nick Cook described the particular feeling you get when you bump into a piece of the classified, or black, world. This story has that kind of feel to it.

If it were a routine Air Force or NASA flight it seems like the agency involved would be more forthcoming. After all, if they were cruising along at 60,000 feet on a filed flight plan thehn they would be doing nothing wrong. It's not their fault the Air Traffic Control computer threw a hissy fit, after all. The fact that no one has said, "yeah, that was ours" really makes me wonder. Also, these aircraft have been flying for over 60 years, they have to have flown over southern California airspace before. What was different about this flight that it threw a wrench in the works? Unfortunately, we'll probably never know.

2. Risky

Risky Modder

I would go with cock-up over conspiracy.

3. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

Nah, I'd go with cock up over cover up on most things, but this smells of cover up.

4. G0UDG

G0UDG helping others costs nothing

I didn't know Bono and Co had their own spy plane lol (Sorry couldn't resist)

5. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

It's a tax avoidance scheme. :p

7. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

U-2s, and the more modern variants, are still used quite a bit for high altitude research. I kind of wonder if the media is using the moniker 'U-2 spy plane' the same way it calls every non-handgun an 'assault rifle'. Throw out 'U-2 spy plane' and 'Defense Department flight plan' and you've got yourself a juicy story!

As to why they would still use them, well, I can only look to the NASA-owned WB-57s that are always screaming over my backyard. I guess they're still reliable enough to serve their purpose.

8. Cthippo

Now that the A-12 / SR71s are all in museums, the U-2 and it's derivatives are the only things in the west that can reach 60-70,000 feet. NASA uses them for high altitude atmospheric research and the Air Force finds them to still be good recon birds for use in low-threat environments. Predator drones are fine for low altitude tactical surveillance, but when you want to photograph half a country at once from your own side of the border, then it's U-2 time!

9. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Tangent:

Q: What's the difference between Bono and God?
    A: God doesn't wander around Belfast thinking he's Bono.

Yeah I know, you've heard it before.

boiled_elephant likes this.
  10. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

Handon's Razor:

11. law99

law99 Custom User Title

That's genuinely what I thought this was all about.

12. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

The WB-57s are wicked cool - but they're used not because they're reliable but because they have the legs and altitude for their job. They soak up a fair few maintenance man hours as far as I'm aware (you could probably find out more ;))

They're also one of the platforms used to carry the Battlefield Airborne Communications Node (BACN) that allows various operational platforms across military services to link up with each other, another coo bit of tech.

Also, most of the drones, even the high tech ones, are yet to operate any of the awesome ISR payloads that the U-2s have been flying with for years. It's part of the reason there's been such a kerfuffle at the DoD in recent months. They want to retire older aircraft like the U-2 and A-10 in favour of newer types (manned and unmanned) that have yet to integrate the full range of weapons and sensors that have made these old birds useful. The USAF even admitted that retiring the Warthog and U-2 would open up capability gaps that would require further funding to plug, meaning the retirements aren't as cost-effective anyway. Fun times.

13. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

You're probably right about the maintenance required to keep them flying. I've heard a few people around the office express similar ideas.

14. Cthippo

Keep in mind the WB57 is basically a Canberra bomber with longer wings. You don't just ring up Martin or English Electric and order parts, you have to make them yourself.