1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Best [Least worst] GPU for ~£50

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RedFlames, 22 Nov 2015.

1. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Well my 570 has kicked the bucket and the Intel IGP is excruciatingly bad [Intel - how can you make an IGP so bad it can't even manage the desktop without chugging... HOW!?!?]

Can't afford a like-for-like replacement either in terms of performance [~950] or current equivalent in the range [970] so, I need suggestions for something that i can play now-end games on before this IGP completely does my head in...

Budget - ~£50

preferably nVidia
    preferably not requiring power connectors [not 100% convinced my PSU didn't kill my card given i've now had 3 go in a similar manner]
    preferably with a DP port [no biggy, and probably a big ask on a cheap card]
    Better than an Intel IGP [...not exactly hard]

and preferably a new card, unless someone's got something amazing going second hand...

So denizens of bit-tech - suggestions please...

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

The only Nvidia card i know that's under £50 would be the GT 730.
    MSI one here going for £48.50

Last edited: 22 Nov 2015
  3. Isitari

Isitari Minimodder

I've got a refurbished EVGA gtx 580 you can have for that. I bought it from Scan a few months ago and it's still well within its 1 year warranty. Only issue is that it does need power...

4. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

oven the 570 ;)

5. rollo

rollo Modder

Second hand from a generous friend or cook the 570. Not sure you will find better performance for £50.

6. RedFlames

I'm not after 'better than 570' i'm after 'better than the intel IGP'...

And I've already ovened the 570 [for the record it had already been ovened once before...], it is most definitely FUBAR'd

I just want something that can handle the desktop without bogging down and/or can play anything resembling a game without the driver spazzing out completely... [in intel driver really has it in for unity-based games it would seem...]

Last edited: 22 Nov 2015
  7. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I'd personally go for a GTX 750 (new). I know it's around £70 and not £50, but it will do what you want. It doesn't require extra power as it gets all it needs from the pcix slot.

It is that or look into the second hand market.

8. RedFlames

I taek it you're referring to this one?

I'll see if can stretch my budget to that... seems like prices have gone up across the board, even the cheap ****'s expensive [well more expensive than i remember it being]... and whilsed 2md had would probably be a more efficient use of the money, been burned too many times by cards where you get them and they're fine... for about a week...

9. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Yep, that's the one.

I can understand your apprehension of going 2nd hand. I've only bought 2 cards that way and one was perfect and the other worked, but was a little flaky. Think it had some kind of memory issue. It was fine most of the time, but there were a few games it didn't like (Witcher 2 for example) and would BSOD. Unigines Heaven benchmark had the same result.