1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice New Build - advice please

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DaMasta, 10 Jul 2009.

1. DaMasta

DaMasta What's a Dremel?

Hey, been cruising your forums for a while now but finally decided to create an account haha
    anyways... making a new pc because my current one is quite the old now and getting pretty slow... (had for like 3-4 yrs now).

New build will be used mostly for gaming with light multitasking (i might have CSS or WoW or w/e im playing at the time up and have 10-20 web pages up with MSN / Music and sometimes zipping / extracting / file movement at the same time) mostly play FPS like CS Source, Crysis, etc and MMORPS like WoW and what not, planning on playing D3 and SC2 when they come out too.

So far the build is...
    CPU - AMD PII x3 720 (looking to overclock a bunch)

Cooler - not sure exactly but looking at Xigmatek Dark Knight S1283 or OCZ Vendetta 2

Mobo - GA-MA790FXT-UD5P

RAM - G.Skill 4GB DDR3 Trident 1600MHz (8-8-8-24)

GPU - 1GB 4890 (not sure what brand yet and im planning on getting another one later on when i have the money)

PSU - not sure exactly but was looking at the OCZ StealthXstream 600W if that will be sufficient enough for the dual GPU setup + O.C.ing as much as my mobo + cooler will let me. i originally wanted to get the Be Quiet Pro 650W but i cant find a store with it in my area (Sydney, Australia).

HDD - Samsung Spinpoint HD103UJ 1TB

Case - Antec P183 (looking for a pretty quiet system, i hate loud computers)

Peripherals will be taken from older computer (have a decent KB and a Razer Copperhead mouse, also have a decent 22" monitor)

My budget is roughly $1400 AU and this build so far has come to $1381 AU.
    Any suggestions on changing any of the parts is welcome. Thanks.

2. Diosjenin

Diosjenin Thinker, Tweaker, Et Cetera

Hey, and welcome!

Cooler - The Dark Knight is a fine cooler.

Mobo - Not sure what the MSI GD70 runs in your area, but if it's a comparable price, pick that up instead.

[bit-tech's GA-MA790FXT-UD5P review]
    [bit-tech's 790FX-GD70 review]

GPU - If you hate loud computers, you might want to shy away from a 4890, as the stock heatsink/fan sounds like you're perpetually stepping on an angry cat. If you can find a Vapor-X/Toxic/Atomic 4890 from Sapphire you'll be more than fine, but those are notoriously elusive in the 4890 range. There's plenty to be had as 4870s, though.

Power Supply - You should probably be looking for a good ~600-750W power supply - and keep in mind that if you really want to run two 4890s, you'll need one with at least four 6-pin or 6+2-pin PCI-E cables. Take a look at the Enermax Modu82+ 625W and the Silverstone ST70F (700W). You could also try the Cooler Master UCP RS700-AAAAA3 (700W, and no, I'm not making that model number up) if you're okay with non-modular cabling.

Oh, and if you'll be looking for replacement/extra fans for the P183 at some point, I highly recommend Scythe's S-Flex SF221F.

The rest looks pretty solid. Obviously enough, do feel free to keep asking questions - it's what we're here for. :)

- Diosjenin -

3. DaMasta

DaMasta What's a Dremel?

Well ive already tried looking for the MSI 790FX-GD70 and its pretty sad but i cant even find 1 store in all of NSW (the state that Sydney is located in) that sells it :sigh:

The only real FX boards i could find were the GA-MA790FXT-UD5P which is $260 AU and the M4A79T Deluxe which is $317 and just goes out of my price range.

For the GPUs i think i might just change to Gigabyte 4870s, heard they had really good cooling and are roughly the same price as other non O.C.ed 4870s.

For the PSU i couldnt find any of the ones u suggested lol (aussie shops suck) but i could find a Silverstone ST75EF 750W "Silent" PSU for $170.

Also i couldnt find the fans lol but the Xigmatek XSF-F1251 eXtreme Silent fans seem decent - | 1800±10% R.P.M. | 72 CFM | <24 dBA

Thanks for the reply by the way, greatly appreciated :D

Last edited: 10 Jul 2009