1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress 1/5th RC Abrams M1A2 Case Build

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Spudnik, 23 Jul 2013.

1. Spudnik

Spudnik What's a Dremel?

Hi all
    Just thought I would start posting updates to my current project, It technically is a computer case (well two computers in one case) but its not your standard run of the mill desktop case, far from it really.
    My son and I have enjoyed Battlefield 1942 DC Mod (me since it came out, him for about two years) and love blowing each other up in game lots.
    Well one day about a year and a half ago my boy turned to me and asked if we could build a model Abrams main battle tank so I promptly ran out and brought a 1/35th scale plastic kit set, we sat down to build it and found very quickly that it just simply would not go together correctly and to top it of there were parts missing. My son understandably was upset so I had an idea.
    It was one of those light bulb moments and if I had even thought about it before opening my mouth I would have smashed the bulb with the biggest hammer I could find, unfortunately I mentioned it to my son who promptly confirmed it was a good idea and we should do it, DOH!!!

The bright idea, lets build a 1/5th scale working Abrams Tank that we can use two laptops to control it with so we could both play, one controlling the driving the other the turret and weapons systems.

Well over a year later we are still chipping away at this project, the good side, my 9 year old is now very good with a MIG welder, starting to get the hang of a TIG welder and is learning to run a waterjet cutter
    The downside, way to many hours on design and fabrication and way to many $'s

I have added a few pics of some of the build and if you would like to read over the previous posts feel free to have a look at my blog here http://spudnik1970.blogspot.co.nz/

I will continue to update this thread as progress is made.

Any comments or questions feel free to speak up

Oh and before anyone asks (lots do) yes it will have weapons systems which will be changable

Overall length (Without Main Gun) - 1400mm
    Overall Width - 660mm
    Weight (so far without motors or batteries) - 75kgs
    Estimated Total Weight - 180-200Kgs Max

Friendly Config
    Main Gun - Custom Paintball
    Coaxial Gun - Custom Airsoft

Non friendly Config
    Main Gun - Saiga 12 semi auto 12 Gauge 5 shot mag
    Coaxial Gun - Custom High Power BB Machine gun

Hull and Turret
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tracks
    [​IMG]

Suspension
    [​IMG]

Main Drive Hub
    [​IMG]

2. Alekoy

Alekoy Ostekake!

WOW.

3. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

This makes me proud to be a Kiwi.

Last edited: 24 Jul 2013
  4. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Awesome.

Faster faster faster!

Love projects like these

5. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Project is already EPIC! :rock:

6. Spudnik

Spudnik What's a Dremel?

You will be even more proud of the fact that I will be using the number one staple fix all product that just about every kiwi bloke has at least touched if not held up the exhaust of the Cortina, #8 wire will be used for the cargo grill around the back of the turret :clap:

7. Spudnik

Spudnik What's a Dremel?

Thanks guys, project is starting to take of now so will be posting updates as it progresses

Had time on the auto saw so I could get the axles etc ready for the lathe which I am hopping to get onto this weekend

[​IMG]

8. Meelobee

Meelobee What's a Dremel?

/me grabs popcorn and is going to watch this unfold :)

9. Pranja

Pranja Blackwolf

Really cool project. Can't wait to see roll out.

10. sixfootsideburns

sixfootsideburns modeteer

screw Power Wheels dude... I want one of these

11. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Holy CRAP!:eeek:
    Most builds like this involve plastic and wood. Kudos for building in steel!
    I wish I could weld at 9. My skill set involved wood and fabric at that age.:( Your kid will be indestructible if you keep teaching him stuff at this level.

12. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

Wait...WHAT ?!?! I had social services out to my house when I was 11 for having a picture of me Soldering ( what have you done over the holidays project )

this project looks great tho :)

Last edited: 27 Jul 2013
  13. kelmannen

kelmannen What's a Dremel?

Thumbs up on those words!! i REALLY hopes i can teach my kids that when they're 9!

Awesomeawesomeawesome! i love tank and i've always been dreaming of doing something like this! will follow this one closely :)

14. Spudnik

Spudnik What's a Dremel?

Hay guys
    thanks for your comments, unfortunately down here in NZ they have decided that metal work is not a "needed" skill these days so that's why i have taken it on myself to make sure that my kids can learn these kinds of skills, i have 1 boy and 5 girls and they do or will all know how to weld etc as well.
    This build is cut just about completely on an abrasive waterjet cutter which he is learning to use as well.

15. Spudnik

Spudnik What's a Dremel?

Got the front tensioners axels sorted, These are made from 20mm rod with the bracket cut from 10mm Mild Steel, they will need to be stronger than the normal road wheels as the stress of the tracks will be pulling around them, not to mention the will be the first thing that hits the tank as it travels.

The rod is pressed in and then TIG welded around the back.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. GamerIDGoesHere

GamerIDGoesHere www.^.com

Looks very awesome :) It would be cool if you could somehow play Battlefield and when you're in a tank, this tank moves and shoots too :)

Subbed,
    - Dan

17. Vetalar

Vetalar *learning english*

HOLY CRAP! OMG!!! EPIC!!!!!1oneone!
    RC tank model with 12 shotgun instead of main gun!!! i must see it

18. matiss

matiss Minimodder

I want that defending my front yard :D Great build and i'm certanly watching

19. Spudnik

Spudnik What's a Dremel?

Got the last major pieces for the suspension and road wheel units cut and ready for assembly.

These are the trailing arms that attached the road wheels to the suspension units.

Have a bit more lathe work to do on the 20mm rod that is attached to the trailing arm and will go through the tank body to the suspension unit.

Both the 20mm and 16mm rod in the test unit here are just press fitted into the trailing arm, there is no way they will come out but they will still be TIG welded around the backs to keep them in place.

[​IMG]

Here you can see the plastic water pipe that will act as a tire and separate the metal rim and metal tracks. These will be press fitted to the rim last once the wheels are assembled and painted (without the split in it)

[​IMG]

Exploded view of road wheel assemblies, the suspension unit in the top right will be inside the tank and the 20mm rod will come out the side and be welded to the trailing arm which in turn is welded to the 16mm axle rod.

[​IMG]

Couple of shots showing how they will sit when in the tank, 7 on each side :)

[​IMG]

Here you can see the threaded hole for the end cap of each wheel to hold it on the axles.

[​IMG]

20. Boorach

Boorach Minimodder

Wow!! What fantastic build. Look forward to following your progress.