1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Struggling to choose a router

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by iknowgungfu, 17 Apr 2014.

1. iknowgungfu

iknowgungfu Minimodder

So, my old aging Netgear router is starting to get a little bit dodgy. Power keeps dropping and I want to replace it.

So, unbeknownst to me things have moved on beyond wireless N technology. I've had my last router about 10 years. I do not have any ac ready devices (my wifi card in my PC is G only). Is it worth spending the extra premium on an ac router for future proofing purposes? I am not sure really.

The main thing I want is good wireless range. I was looking at the Nighthawk router and the Asus equivalent ac routers. I almost made a purchase and realised it isn't a modem router! However, Beamforming functions advertised in the newer ac routers are certainly intriguing.

Another thing on my wish list is a way to prioritise certain traffic (for PS4 etc).

So, I am not sure I want to have to run a separate router and modem - is this the way things are going?

If anyone can make some recommendations for a router I would be grateful. I am fairly used to messing around with setting my net connection etc (and I do prefer to assign my own IP addresses away from the usual 192.168.....).

Thanks in advance.

2. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

For really advanced features there's no better way than making your own router with something like FreeBSD.

I'm not really clued up on commercial routers though.

3. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

I've got a home-built router on m0n0WALL - it's cracking.

However, for an off-the-shelf affair, the latest Asus kit comes very highly recommended. From your post, I would assume that you are DSL subscriber?

4. iknowgungfu

iknowgungfu Minimodder

Yeah. Don't use here. Hopingand waiting for BT infinity to actually become available for me (all done at the exchange just not available yet).

Not sure I would have the time to make my own_
    - the router lives in the lounge downstairs and needs to be a subtle feature.

5. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

I've seen pfSense but not heard of m0n0WALL, is it good? I'm assuming it's built on FreeBSD.

6. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I suggest investigating the Billion 7800DXL.
    It has a built-in ADSL modem, can connect to upstream fibre modem, and will also take a 3g/4g dongle over USB.

I wouldn't recommend their 7800N as the wifi fails over time due to heat-stress in the glue used to secure the wifi daughter-board.

7. iknowgungfu

iknowgungfu Minimodder

I've not heard of that make before. But seems to have good reviews. Thanks for the suggestion. Am I correct in thinking that this is fine for use with DSL connections but also cable too?

I have only ever used netgear kit so would be a little departure for me. As long as the range is good I would be happy.

8. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

For cable, you just tell it to configure ethernet port #4 as WAN (same as if you want to plug it into a fibre modem) and plug it into the cable socket.

9. koola

koola Minimodder

TP-Link routers are not bad. Suggest you get a model that's on a third party firmware list to give you options should you want it.

10. iknowgungfu

iknowgungfu Minimodder

That's pretty cool. (IANW) Do you know how the range is? Reviews tend to state different things. The signal needs to pass from my lounge downstairs up to the study at the back of the house. Mainly plaster board walls.

I hope ur to hide it behind my cabinet which may effect signal strength too. The other thought I had was if I conceal it behind my wall mounted TV - not sure if bring close to a TV would affect signal strength either.

EDIT.... WILL have a look at to tp link too.

11. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Range is about average and (as always) depends on what the signal has to go through.
    You have the choice of 2.4GHz or 5GHz (or both!)

12. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

You could always mount the aerials elsewhere, using cables? :)