1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU Silent PSU advice please?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by magnetobob, 31 Jul 2013.

1. magnetobob

magnetobob What's a Dremel?

Good Day People,

Having hit a wall at the moment with my build having had to return two power supplies due to first faulty and the second horrible coil whine. I've come to ask for advice on a silent and quality PSU.

However I have some constraints it must work to at least 850 watts, fully modular and, have a depth of preferably 160mm due to my ft03 case.

Any advice would be much appreciated,

Many thanks

Magnetobob

2. PCBuilderSven

PCBuilderSven Minimodder

3. Gunnzie

Gunnzie What's a Dremel?

4. magnetobob

Thanks guys adding them to a couple I found for further inspection

5. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Also check out PSU that only turn of the Fan when needed.
    My Crossair 850(AX?) has this feature and rarely ever turns on the fan in a µATX build!

6. Deders

Deders Modder

I've not heard a peep out of my Be Quiet PSU since I've had it.

7. magnetobob

Thanks MSHunter the corsair 860 was something i took at look (similar I guess to your 850) and was a a viable options it just seemed many people had experience with coil whine. I admit for many people it probably doesn't bother them but after going down the line of keeping everything quite the buzz would likely be extremely irritating.

Deders this would have been the perfect solution I think however they're 850watt options was too big for my case unfortunately. Thanks for the input though.

8. Deders

Deders Modder

This one is apparently 86mm deep, but 190mm long.

9. magnetobob

That is the power supply that got my hope up however its depth measurment was too high 10mm over

I say the depth as it what Silverstone class as the limitation of the case for the power supply the 190mm is technically the depth the power supply is 86mm is the height of the power supply this seems pretty standard. However Different websites and manufactures can't seem to standardize the way they display what is the height, length and depth.

Unfortunately the depth of this power supply would be 190mm which is 10mm over the maximum size it could be for my case.

Thanks though Deders this would have probably been the best one if it fitted.

Last edited: 1 Aug 2013
  10. Fracture

Fracture What's a Dremel?

I have heard largely mixed reviews about the new Seasonic PSUs, many users have been complaining about serious coil whine in the New X-Series PSUs. (This ruled out the new Corsair PSUs based on this design) Another thing to consider is whether you're planning on sleeving the PSU cables, in which case I would again avoid the previously mentioned PSUs as their 24 pin out is atrocious and notoriously hard to sleeve (lots of double-pins and a mess of crossovers)

For both these reasons I chose the Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution 1000W. The fan runs really quiet (I think it uses a Silverstone penetrator fan), with not a whisper of coil whine in my ridiculously quiet PC. Also comes with a dust filter, fully modular cables and is standard ATX PSU dimensions so it should fit in your case.

A note: The PCI-express cables do come with capacitors on them. If sleeving these must be removed, however I haven't noticed any increase in coil whine from my graphics cards or PSU since removing them and the 24-pin pin-out is far superior to 99% of PSUs.

"Oh, now we're talking. Silverstone, you can put bulky capacitors into my modular cables any day, if they help you get results like this. We have about 32mV on the 12V rail, and are at half spec on the two minor rails. This puts the Silverstone between the Kingwin LZP and the Seasonic Platinum for ripple suppression. It is better than the Seasonic, and comes within a hair of matching the Kingwin. Very nice indeed. I'm not sure I can quite allow it the zero point deduction I did with the Kingwin, as it's a little too far away from that magical 25mV or less number I'd like to see from the 12V shots, but it's still really close." - Johnny guru (Full review)

Hope it helps :)

11. MrTeal

MrTeal Minimodder

Last edited: 2 Aug 2013
  12. magnetobob

Hi MrTeal
    Heres a list of my current build and you will see at the moment 850 watts would not be necessary however plans in the future would be to eventually sli more ram etc . And I believe it would be an ill move to buy a power supply which would not be able to ready for any changes I make.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
    Motherboard: ASRock Z87M Extreme4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory
    Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card
    Case: Silverstone SST-FT03T (Silver) MicroATX Mini Tower Case
    Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 850W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (returned)
    Optical Drive: Pioneer BDC-207DBK Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer (donated just use extension cables when needed)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit)
    Additional cooling: NF-R8 PWM x2

Monitor: Dell U2413 60Hz 24.0" Monitor
    Keyboard: SteelSeries 6Gv2 Wired Standard Keyboard
    Mouse: Logitech G9x Wired Laser Mouse

Hope that clears anything up for you.

Magnetobob

13. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

850Ws of overkill Cheesecake!

However if you can keep your consumption below 50% load of some PSU's , then they shouldn't spin their fans (unless there's serious heat dissipation issues). If the load never goes over 475W (half a 850w PSU), even when everything is fully loaded, then the fans should never spin up.

That's my logic. Added capacitor ageing over the 5+ years i'd keep a good psu for. And any possible upgrades down the line (sli/crossfire). Jobs a good un.

14. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

Oh God. My gf has Geordie Shore on in the background and i'm picking up the speech patterns.