1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News BT modems have NSA back-door, claim researchers

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 17 Dec 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Added a couple of comments from people who say that the paper is making a mountain out of a decidedly not-DoD-flavoured molehill. Yes, that means an already lengthy piece is even longer. Grab a coffee.

3. John_T

John_T Minimodder

Nothing wrong with a long article: I'd rather it was long and properly balanced than short for the sake of it. As someone who uses the BT setup I wouldn't mind seeing a follow-up to this to see whether there actually is anything in it. Not that I do anything I don't particularly want 'authorities' to know about, but you know, it's the principal of the thing...

4. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

BT won't be able to say it is true even if it is, so, safe to assume a full denial incoming?

[homehub]
    Shutdown router.
    [/homehub]

5. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

This. I'm also using the Homehub 4 setup, along with the Openreach Modem - if any more information about this comes up, it would be interesting to know, no matter how boring my internet history is...

Kind of scary that we've entered a time when all tinfoil hat-esque ideas are becoming more of a reality. What's next, NSA backdoor hidden in my ethernet enabled blu-ray player? GPS Tracking bug built into the ECU of my car, with dialler to dial back to the NSA? (Not likely - it's a poverty spec 2002 Golf, but you get the gist of what i'm getting at...)

Last edited: 17 Dec 2013
  6. Gareth Halfacree

Interesting. The Home Hub 5 was the first to include a built-in dual-mode ADSL/VDSL modem, meaning it works without the Openreach VDSL modem. The instructions for the Home Hub 5, however, don't reflect this; "If you're on Infinity Option 1 or Option 2," they explain, "connect the Home Hub 5 to the modem via an Ethernet cable." When my Infinity Option 2 was fitted, the Openreach engineer didn't bring a modem; when I queried why, concerned that he was installing plain-old ADSL2+, he confirmed that they're no longer required with the Home Hub 5 - and, indeed, BT had stopped using 'em because they had a tendency to overheat.

You, however, have a Home Hub 5 and an Openreach modem - even though you don't need two boxes. When was your broadband installed, out of interest?

Last edited: 17 Dec 2013
  7. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

Well this is embarrasing - meant to type Homehub 4 not 5...although in answer to the question, it was installed in August I think.

8. Gareth Halfacree

That would explain it; the 4 has no VDSL capabilities - just ADSL. Still doesn't explain why the HH5 manual clearly states you'll get a separate modem if you're on Infinity, though.

9. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

You know what. If it's true, anyone still using those aborted foetus' of routers deserve it.

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

At this point I'll not be surprised if my analogue watch is always listening to me tbh. Anyone else feel the same?

11. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

And kids, this is why I always use my own router with OpenWRT - and it's not just because ISP routers have horrifically crap hardware+firmware that's locked down like mad.

12. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

It's not the router that has the backdoor, it was the modem so you'd not be safe.

13. Bloodburgers

Bloodburgers Minimodder

Well my watch keeps telling me things so am sure its more than capable of listening too.

14. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Someone I know who does networky stuff (as far as I'm aware) commented on this earlier:

15. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

It wouldn't surprise me if my BT H%£e sm%^T ph%£$ is monitoring me :worried:

16. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

OK, That's weird, who censored my post :hehe:

17. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

it was your BT Home smart phone ;-) whatever one of those is, lol

18. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

Is it just me, or is the plot of MGS2 starting to make a little bit more sense?

Won't be long before words start to get La-li-lu-le-lo'ed

19. John_T

John_T Minimodder

Maybe I am stupid for using the (perfectly functional) kit that I already paid for (without choice) from my ISP, but I "deserve" it? Really? At least I understood the article.

Besides, what makes you think that only ISP supplied hardware would then be affected? If this story were true, (GeorgeStorm's post aside for a moment) do you think other brands of hardware wouldn't also be affected? Perhaps you've simply chosen one with a backdoor for a different country's security agency...

20. John_T

John_T Minimodder

Yep, put me in that category. I used to file stories like this under 'tinfoil hat brigade' - the last few years have increasingly proved that the tinfoil hat wearers were actually the sensible ones and it's the rest of us that were deluded. Definitely makes you paranoid!