1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Partially Sleeving a PSU?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Impatience, 25 Apr 2014.

?

Should I do it?

1. Yes - It'll be fine

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No - It's unsafe

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No - It'll look bad with the heatshrink showing

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

Ok, so I've got a cheapie grey box PSU with horrible multi-coloured cables. I'm thinking of individually sleeving the cables, but as it's a non-modular PSU I cant buy the cables and replace them.. :wallbash:
    Now, my thinking is that as the cabling in the PC will be hidden apart from where it connects to the Mobo and the fan cables I could cut the cables in half.. Slip on some sleeving and then solder & heatshrink the wires back together before heatshrinking the sleeving in place. :clap: Is this doable? Or would the power be too much for just re-soldering the wires back together? I know that I could spend hours taking off each pin and doing it that way, but I wont be able to sleeve all the cable (non-modular) and as it's mostly going to be hidden.. I dont see it as cheating too much! :thumb:

So is it a good idea? And more to the point, is it safe? :hehe:

2. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

It's doable and providing the splices are good won't be a problem although there will be a noticeable bump under the sleeve. In my opinion not worth the massive amount of time it will take but at least it'll keep you busy for a while :D

3. -MisterX-

-MisterX- Minimodder

Doable, but it seems like more work than to sleev the entire cables.

4. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

@ MisterX:
    I would sleeve the entire cable, but since you'll only see the end 5-10cm of them (bar the CPU cable and fan cables) I can't see the point in spending more money on extra sleeving material? Maybe it's just me being cheap due to my budget constraints! :hehe:

@ Big Elf:
    I was planning on making the cut further down, so that it would be under the vanity guard and that you wouldn't see it. I know it'll take ages, but I hate the 90's style multicoloured cabling! It's not all 'just black' or 'sleeved' in that black see-through stuff..

And just a general question.. How hard is it to actually get the cables out of the pins? I know you can get a tool for £20, but that seems a lot of money to me! :worried: (Since the entire build will be under £150..)
    I've just heard horror stories from other places and it just made it seem easier to cut & resolder the wires once sleeved..?

5. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

You can use staples as pin removers, it takes a lot longer than the molex pin remover but works well. Some connectors are easy to get the pins out others are a pain and can result in the pin and wire separating.

6. Meelobee

Meelobee What's a Dremel?

As long as the soldered parts are covered in heatshrink you should be fine. If you keep an eye on how much solder you use and how you reconnect the wires, you can do it in such a way you won't see a bump in the wire where the solder is.

7. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

Cheers all, i'll have ago at the staple/pin remover method for a bit and see if they'll come off easily or not. If the latter, my name :)hehe:)will cause me to go for the cut'n'solder method! I'll be posting the results in the build log (It's in the modding section atm as i'm still waiting for bits and peices) :D Oh, linky (for if you want to see it later):
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=269635