1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News DICE's Frostbite engine goes 64-bit only

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 23 May 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

I think they'd be mad to exclude 32 bit versions, though I'd very much like to see a 64 bit version of BF3

3. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Finally, something forcing XP lovers to upgrade :D.

4. scott_chegg

scott_chegg Minimodder

About flippin time!

5. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I think they're smart not staying stuck in the past and catering to a small minority of numpties.

6. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

Who exactly would be running a computer capable of running the next Battlefield but with 32-bit Windows? All OEMs have shipped computers with Windows 7 64-bit, enthusiasts have adopted 64-bit Windows for much longer, and any computer with a 32-bit only processor won't have the performance necessary to run the game in the first place.

7. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

32-bitters make me cringe now. It's 2012 for pete's sake :)

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

It's a minority, but hardly a small one: according to the most recently published Steam Hardware Survey results, 35.14% of users were running a 32-bit OS.

9. SpAceman

SpAceman What's a Dremel?

Stuff like this needs to happen. It's about time.

10. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

Not everyone upgrades at the same frequency as many of the users here. As per Gareth's comment above, the article here : http://www.bit-tech.net/blog/2012/05/22/how-old-is-your-has-your-hardware/ says enough. And that's just for steam users, many people do not use steam.

11. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

Surely this will depend on the spec the next generation of consoles have. If they've <=4GB RAM or run 32 bit OSs it seems a bit pointless.

12. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

from what ive been hearing the new toy boxes are still 2 generations behind us

13. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

The steam hardware survey is not a good representation of people who will be buying DICE games in 2013.
    A lot of those steam gamers would be people who play CS and other old games that work perfectly fine on a since core Xp machine on 32 bit.
    I have steam installed at my parents house and they play the casual puzzle games, they are never going to be playing counter strike or l4d.
    This is a good move, it will give a performance boost to any enthusiast that is running 64 bit and has more than 4 gig ram, I personally have had 8 gig for 18 months now.

14. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

35.14% ? Let's see http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey :

Windows XP 32 bit 14.90%
    Windows Vista 32 bit 5.48%

When i add these numbers together, i get 20.38%. Or you consider the items labeled as "Windows 7" and "Unknown" as 32-bit as well ? Because that is the only way you can get up to 35.14%.

And 18% of people can't use DX10. We will stop making DX10 then ? Will we stop making DX11 games then ?

15. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

This will push people to upgrade their OS, making things better all round. Good on DICE for doing this.

16. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Yes, I consider the item labelled as "Windows 7" to be 32-bit - mostly because, if you'd bothered to look closer instead of being contrary, you'd see "Windows 7 64-bit" as a separate entry at the top of the survey results. I also added "Unknown" for the same reason - "Unknown 64-bit" is a separate category.
    You're being an aggressive dick for no readily apparent reason: sit back and think for a minute about what 'exclusivity' means. Making a game which supports 64-bit? A good thing. Making a game which is 64-bit exclusive? Excludes a chunk of the market. It's what 'exclusive' means.

17. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

Microsoft really pussied out releasing a 32-bit version of windows 7. Luckily most resellers seemed to know better and only use the 64bit version.

18. warejon9

warejon9 What's a Dremel?

I would like to point out you can get 64bit xp :p also, anyone that has bought a cpu since, athlon 64 (not sure when intel started doing 64 bit in desktop computers) will be able to run the OS, but as has been mentioned here, if you don't have support for 64 bit, your computer probably wouldn't play the game anyway.

19. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Taking the big players:
    Windows 7 64 bit 53.86%
    Windows Vista 64 bit 6.28%
    Total: 60.14%

Windows XP 32 bit 14.90%
    Windows Vista 32 bit 5.48%
    Windows 7 14.65% (i.e. 32-bit)
    Total: 35.03%

It's not much of a contest, but that is a significant exclusion. Not that I'm saying it shouldn't be done - that's fine by me, more pretty for the rest of us. :)

20. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I must admit I also think you're being a bit rude in your tone faugusztin.

I'm personally not overly bothered since I almost certainly won't be buying whatever game they make, currently using a 64bit W7 I think, not sure what the family is on, but I don't think it's a great idea to make it 64bit exclusive, making people pay more money for a new OS if they don't have one already.

Tags: Add Tags