1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other OUYA (Open-source Kickstarter console)

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Dae314, 11 Jul 2012.

1. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

Forgive me if this topic has already been created, but when I did a quick search nothing came up for OUYA so I assume I'm the first.

OUYA is a game console that's currently in the early development stage. The principal of OUYA is to provide an open, affordable, and easy to use TV gaming console to people. Their project is up on kickstarter, and they've been extremely successful (there's even donors at the $10,000+ range which you rarely see). In less than 12 hours they were already over their goal of $950k, and at the time of this post they've gotten over $2m in pledges. You can read/watch to learn more about the console yourself. The projected shipping date is March 2013.

What you can do right now is basically pre-purchase this console for $99 (since most of the other categories were limited and have sold out). Why should you purchase this console or not purchase it? That's what this thread is for. You still have about 28 days to make a decision, but IMO this console could be a much needed open and affordable competitor in the largely closed console market. Honestly, depending on how this console fares in the future I can even see the PC gaming master race losing a few members. It's way early to speculate the impact that the console will have on the market though. My personal view on this is that this is a $100 console. You don't see those very often unless you're buying like an old gamecube or something. Given what it is I think that's a pretty good deal, and if you have money laying around it's worth a shot investing in it.

What do you think?

Also I realize this is a UK forum and some of you won't be able to make a pre-purchase on this since I don't think kickstarter is available for UK yet. But you can still discuss your views on what they're trying to do with the OUYA project :).

2. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

an open source console, interesting prospect.

3. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Interesting - will go and have a read.

By the way - you can still donate to Kickstart even in the UK - you can do it through your amazon.co.uk account. I have donated to a couple of projects without an issue.

4. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Looks freaking awesome!

Costs $130 - £83 inc shipping to the UK.

Its literally going to be minutes before someone also puts XBMC onto this bad boy.

God.... I could actually be tempted to get one!

5. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

im more excited to see what the gaming scene would be like, imagine, a console that wasnt tied down to sony/MS contracts/legal ********, that would be awesome in itself.

the bedroom coders would rise again.

6. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

Oh wow..Would it be a introduction to more indie games on a console?

7. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

The future of Consoles?

Just seen this project on Kickstarter for a new Android powered console - the OUYA. they wanted $950k and got $2m in just one day!

[​IMG]
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console

Looks pretty good, people are suggesting adding SSD's and all sorts of stuff, but i think for the price and what it'll be used for they've got it spot on. It's not meant to be a PS3/360 rival nor a SFF PC! Keep it simple, keep it cheap and use the extra funds developing a custom android os.

EDIT: I searched the forums before putting up my thread, don't know why this one didn't come up?

Last edited: 11 Jul 2012
  8. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

If it had access to the Play Store confirmed and/or sideloading confirmed, I'd get interested.

9. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

10. rollo

rollo Modder

Dout it

If its not cheap enough it won't be brought in the current market

Ps3 did not sell well when priced around £400 now it's down to £200 ish it's selling pretty well
    Nintendo 3ds is another

Console market I dout has a lot of care for a computer that can just play the apps most have on there phone considering there will most likely be a premium for this in the app price.

Personally don't see it working out where it will sell in the millions it requires for devs to take it seriously and without dev support it's a dead duck.

11. Ljs

Ljs Modder

This looks really interesting actually and if the price point is right, could be a winner.

One thing though... 1GB of ram seems a little low no? I'm really not sure how these things work as I haven't owned a console in quite a while now, but I would have thought a console to rival the newest Xbox offering (which should be soon?) would need a bit more then that.

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I'm really interested - but more about the potential rise of a budget console industry with multiple parties. It raises a lot of questions. I've had a lot of chat about this this morning, will try to remember them:

*If it's 'hackable' will it end up being too heavily associated with piracy and dev's just won't bother?
    *Is hackable what consoles need? Surely fixed, reliable systems are what consoles offer? Enthusiasts will have a field day for sure, but that only goes to create industry uncertainty.
    *It needs a killer API or ease of porting to encourage devs to shift from touchscreen to handheld. If it's too heavily customized it will slow uptake.
    *A 'Cheap' console with 'free to play' games = a recipe for people not parting with money. Look at Android versus Apple marketplaces. It is well documented.
    *Pushing 1080p needs a lot of grunt, which I'm not sure if Tegra 3 has. It's a great chip for tablets when it was designed, but it's a single channel chip afaik, and more expensive LPDDR3 can only be used by the T33, which costs more. Arguably, Apple probably had it right with a faster dual-core with whopping great big MP4 graphics part on its iPad 3. I wonder if a Krait or Samsung would have been a better choice, but they would be far down the pecking order for parts as Krait at least is only made on 28nm (afaik) and the availability of them is very low.
    *Plus, they could use Nvidia's co-op with developers, which is a bonus.
    *Will Tegra 3 be relevant in 2013, let alone 2014.. 2015..? Console shelf life >>>> ARM hardware. By 2015 ARM A9 will look like ARM chips in the first gen iPhone.
    *Anyone can make this. It's just a tablet stripped of its touchscreen. It needs software, which it hasn't actually shown yet. Before parting with cash demand proof of concept.

And lastly:
    *Why didn't Google do this with its Orb??

EDIT: Rolo has it right - it needs weight for SERIOUS developers to get behind it. It might be a good indie machine but it definitely needs a few killer games. It won't tempt the hardcore crowd without a good RPG or FPS.

13. Ljs

Ljs Modder

I believe it was said in the other, original thread that it would cost approx £83 or something. That isn't too shabby for a console these days.

*Edit*

WTB thread merge pretty please!

14. suragh

suragh Derp

WTF, just WTF. GIEF NOW!

15. Jaybles

Jaybles Minimodder

This will most certainly not be rival to the new Xbox. It is powered by a Tegra chip, that, while consoles are significantly underpowered as is, is not powerful enough to run most AAA titles.

While this is most certainly an great concept, I have my doubts as to its success. The lack of AAA titles will mean that it cannot compete with the major consoles, while most indie games are available on a platform that most people have anyway (my PC/phone).

The major consoles are now getting a lot more indie titles with things like XBLA making it easier to submit them.

16. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

I think they need to be really careful that this isn't just seen as a console for geeks. At the moment a lot of the comments on Kickstarter seem to be suggesting that it may be. I have nothing against geeks (I am one!) or them having their own consoles, it is just not a big enough consumer base.

Also, it needs a 1Gb Ethernet connection built in - wireless is no good.

It's aim is not to rival the next generation of consoles, but it still needs a set of solid confirmed launch titles.

At the moment, to me it is looking a bit like a toy.

17. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

Not exactly a snappy name is it?

@Bindi; I don't think the lack of grunt will be too much of an issue as long as they optimise the games properly for the hardware. But then that means another comparatively closed platform which devs will only get behind if they see a huge amount of potential returns for their time and money.

It could be good, or it could be a flop.

18. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Well since the $99 tier has unlimited backers I'll wait until the last day to see how well its done.

19. suragh

suragh Derp

Ordered one.

20. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I don't think it'll work very well given that Tegra 3 is already being phased out. At this point, you could easily make a game console with a few bits of somewhat old PC hardware. As long as you have a proper API you'd be good.