1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Problems with using a DLink DIR-655 as AP

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Picarro, 16 Jul 2012.

1. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Hi guys

Due to the layout of my house, the wireless router supplied by my ISP is in one end of the house, and the living room and kitchen is in the other. This results in a load of problems with the reception in the end of the house where we spend most of our time. There is an ethernet connection in the kitchen and I have a DLink DIR-655 spare from a friend of mine.

Whenever I try to extend my network using the DLink the reception drops in the entire house and my tablets 2x Motorola Xoom and the assorted smartphones in the house have a hard time connecting to the wireless network at all!

I followed an online guide and set it up so the DLink router has DHCP turned off, its SSID and password is set to the same as the router supplied from my ISP and I have of course connected it to the ethernet cable in the kitchen. I have made sure to run them on different channels, as there would otherwise be interference?

Can you guys spot what I have done wrong here?

2. towelie

towelie How do I Internet!!

Sorry i could be wrong here but don't you want Bridge mode, which would "bridge" your second Dlink to your existing lan acting as a 2nd wireless access point.Giving you better signal in the kitchen etc.

I see it does not have that feature on as an option.
    1) Assign the dlink a static IP address within the IP range of your Act router (you may need to reserve the static IP in Act router to prevent other devices from being assigned the same IP)

2) disable DHCP and Firewall (Dlink ONLY)

3) Configure wireless if needed/available

4) Connect to LAN (NOT WAN) on your Act router.

Last edited: 16 Jul 2012
  3. munkey

munkey What's a Dremel?

Agreed with above.

At my office we use several off the shelf wireless routers configured in the way towelie described (all on the same channel with the same SSID and same key) with some overlap to cover our whole office and aside from the cheap routers having to be rebooted every couple weeks it works without any issues.