1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel boasts of 'solid' Q4 results

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 17 Jan 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. rollo

rollo Modder

Pc growth dead, intel makes $2.6 bil estimated. Wish I could make $2.6 bil with no growth at all. See what AMD do i guess.

3. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

PC growth isn't dead it's just having a mid life crisis :D

Revenues at Intel's division which makes chips for desktop computers fell 4% in 2013, data center business revenues rose 8%

I'm not to sure if i have used the right figures as the BBC article shows the above numbers, but Intel's own report says PC Client Group was flat year-over-year. :confused:

4. Cogwulf

Cogwulf What's a Dremel?

Welcome to the wonderful world of economics, where a yearly revenue of over $52bn is interpreted as a bad sign by shareholders.

5. rollo

rollo Modder

Apple makes this in a quater and a bit and it's considered a failure, that's the world of shares for ya.

6. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

Samsung make this in a quater as well.....

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Dude, those figures are right there in my article. Oh, and the BBC has its sums wrong: the Data Centre Group grew seven per cent, not eight. :p Also, the reason you're confused: you're comparing Intel's results for the entire financial year to the BBC's figures for Q4 2013.
    Apple's cheapest product is somewhere in the region of £99 (Apple TV - no, I'm not counting chargers or official cases, 'cos they're accessories not products); Intel's cheapest product is, in volume, pence. Makes it a little bit harder to compare than that, no? Might as well bring in McDonald's $1.39 billion Q4 profit for all the good such a comparison does.

8. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

£79 iirc [Airport Express]...

And apple's hare price is down because stock markets, trying to glean any kind of insight or logic from share prices well... that way madness lies...

The stock price could've dropped because the profits weren't as obscene as they hoped, or because they didn't like Tim Cook's tie...

9. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Whoopsy, sorry.
    I did read the article but when i scanned through it a second time i looked for the numbers saying what each dept gain or loss was, i must have missed the words four and seven :blush:

10. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

I think the comparison of Apple to Intel based on revenue/share price is clearly brainfart territory. Trying to link quoted data to share price even more so. Share price is a reflection on emotion with most of these big institutional brokers. If it was pure numbers we wouldn't see the fluctuation like when Steve Jobs stepped down or god forbid passed away.

With Intel you have pure consistency over the last decade which investors like. Apple get the very slight downturn because so called analyst predict that new product lines wont shift as much. Has that happened? Maybe a little with Apple being classed as "boring" or "The same but given a new number". Whether you think that or not, it still doesn't change the fact that they shift them by the mountain load.

The only share price that's consistently taking a beating is AMD. Is it as a company going anywhere? Will it go bust? Will it get bought out? Of course not, so in most cases, these market data releases mean absolutely nothing to you and I.

11. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Is it just me, or does Brian look like Putin cross-bred with a turtle?

12. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

That's a rather unpleasant thing to do to a turtle...

13. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

More like a Giant Tortoise tbh.