1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Help Please! I need my computer diagnosed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jdcrispe95, 31 Jul 2011.

1. jdcrispe95

jdcrispe95 Windows XP ♥

I have been experiencing problems with my computer locking up recently, The crashing normally occurs randomly or just before I start a game.

Here is a link to the .txt file of the exported "System" section of Event Viewer, if you need any more information.. Feel free to ask, Thank you.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=R3G48NUW

Mobo: Asus P5KPL/1600
    CPU: Core2Duo E5300 @ 3.52Ghz [Been stable since Aug. 2010]
    RAM: 4GB DDR2-800Mhz
    GPU: XFX Radeon HD5570 2GB (Newest part of the PC, only 4 months old)
    HDD: 500GB Seagate Barracuda
    SND: Creative Sound Blaster Live! (from around 2004, only supports XP)

2. Kemp

Kemp Minimodder

First thing I'd do is run memtest and see if it picks anything up. I had random crashes (occurring mostly while playing games or watching videos) and it turned out to be a bad stick. 20 mins in memtest identified it, but note that it can take hours depending on the particular fault.

3. jdcrispe95

jdcrispe95 Windows XP ♥

Thank you, I will look into memtest shortly and give the results.. I cannot wait more than 3 hours due to me having a ton of work to do.

4. Neilc

Neilc Minimodder

Hi,

Does it crash every time you start a game - if not try and find a way to actively make it crash, you could try prime or maybe something like iTunes with the visualiser running. If you can make it crash on cue it becomes alot easier to diagnose the problem. I noticed you haven't listed what power supply you have. If you have a non-branded, it would definitely be worth swapping for a branded one, as a cheap power supply can kill your entire system, if faulty. Make sure to run Memtest for at least 8-10 runs as a fault may not appear until later runs.

5. SolidShot

SolidShot Minimodder

Too much pron!

6. jdcrispe95

jdcrispe95 Windows XP ♥

Thanks to a good friend, he realised it was my overclock that was making my system bad, so.. i need a stable OC thats within margin to my motherboards +150mV on the CPU.
    I was thinking.. I need atleast 3.4Ghz, but will that make it unstable too?

The motherboard in question is an Asus P5KPL/1600

Thank you for your help.

7. Wicked_Sludge

Wicked_Sludge My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

every CPU and mobo will respond differently to every setting. what works for one person wont necessarily work for you.

the best way to get your OC stable is to incrementally increase the CPU speed and thoroughly stress the system with prime95 between settings until you start getting errors, then back the speed down to your last stable setting.

BTW, "thoroughly stressing" the system means at least an hour of prime95 large FFTs. just a few minutes isnt long enough. once you get a "probably stable" setting i would run prime95 over night to be sure.

also, keep a very close eye on your core temps during stressing to make sure you dont overheat your chip.

jdcrispe95 likes this.
  8. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Is it just freezing. With no error being displayed?

If so sounds to me like it could be psu. I had one do that me.

Do you have access to another so that you can test it?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

9. jdcrispe95

jdcrispe95 Windows XP ♥

I have underclocked to 3.25Ghz, not a single crash since, I also run Prime95 for 3 and a half hours, with no errors, so I presume I am stable at this Ghz.

Thank you for your help. :) +1

I have a Seasonic SS-600HT Power Supply, I have had it for nearly 1 year now.