1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals £80-£120 Music Headphones

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DeadP1xels, 17 Jun 2011.

1. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Im after a pair of really decent headphones

Over Ear, Close Back is my preference

A removable cable would be lovely but not required and awesome sound.

For anyone even more technologically minded in this field i listen mostly to post hard-core and most genres of metal.
    i do occasionally listen to the odd drum and bass techno and electro house with a bit of top 40 mixed in for balance.

So i would like the headphones to suit my metal listening most

Two im looking at but would like more suggestions are!
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Audio-Techn...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1308297258&sr=8-1
    They have nothing but rave reviews everywhere on these

And
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/SHURE-JSH-S...A24A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308297995&sr=1-1
    I listened to the SRH550 DJ at the gadget show and loved them! so these seem a worthy contendor in my book and they use a removable cable

Im not looking to spend much over £120 just because i can't justify them

I seem to wear through headphones so i need something thats going to last!

2. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Bought myself a pair of these last week, they are closed back so great for use at work and when out.

I listen to lots of metal and they are awesome! Only slight niggle is the telephone style cord is quite heavy but hey ho. This can be replaced if it breaks so no worries there :)

Oh and they fit over my ears (which are quite big!) so I can wear them for hours at a time without crushing my ears.

3. TheLegendJoe

TheLegendJoe Syntax error

I have a similar pair (PC 350), they're extremely comfy! you can hardly tell there on compared to most headsets :p

4. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Beyerdynamic DT770M... you might get them inside your budget if you shop around. They are the nicest headphones I've ever used in the studio, and I've used many. There are also the DT770 Pro but they do not offer the same level of isolation as the "M" model.

Generally speaking, the more expensive closed headphones aren't the best for listening to music as they can be a bit heavy on mid frequencies and low on bass, but I guess it depends what floats your boat.

5. bagman

bagman Minimodder

Your best bet is to go on these forums and ask them as they are very knowledgeable about head phones http://www.head-fi.org/

You should check out the Audio-Technica AD700 and the Grado SR80i.

6. DeadP1xels

Hmmmmm i think i opened a can of worms just reading between the two i have chosen both have advantages and disadvantages that are the 750 seems to shine through interms of SQ and specs...

but is not built aswell or as comfortable... however i can deal with taking them of for 5 minutes every couple hours (the chance of wearing them non stop for 2 hours is very low) i just would like a pair im satisfied with and gives me the best sq and comfort balance for my money

Now looking at the sennheiser ones :)

7. longweight

They really are great cans, I would agree Lenny but open backed cans are a nightmare if you work in an office or use them whilst out and about. Please correct me if you didn't mean open backed are superior Lenny?

I use mine to game with now too and just use a seperate mic.

Sound Cheesecake

8. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

It's not so much about being better or worse; it's about serving a purpose. Closed headphones are chiefly for isolation. The closed design does affect the audio quality, which is a big deal for some people, hence why they will generally eschew closed cans in favour of open cans.

I guess for the casual user it comes down to preference - I love the DT770Ms for listening to music, but would never use them for mixing because of the limited frequency response.

9. NeilJM

NeilJM What's a Dremel?

The thing with headphones even more than speakers is that you really do have to try them yourself. They always sound a little weird or artificial, their very design is by nature a compromise, so you just need to pick ones that make your ears happy. Not to mention that comfort will depend on the shape of your head!

That is to say... you're not too well served asking people which are the best, because everything thinks theirs are the best - they bought the ones that suited their listening preferences. Better feedback would be if you ask people to describe the sound a little (although they could be talking rubbish) and comment on build quality etc. Then at least you know if you're looking for low mid richness (for example - it's not really linked in to musical genre at all) and a few people say that about their cans, you'll know which to try out. Unfortunately "good for metal" "good for dance" "good for classical" is not really helpful at all to you - some people may listen to metal focusing on cymbals, others may like warmth, low end rumble, aggressive biteyness...

When it all boils down, try and get yourself to somewhere you can try a few. Since you're looking at closed back, you might find a more pro-audio focused shop has more of them, whereas hi-fi places stock more opens. But if the sales guy tries to tell you "these are good for mixing on" just ignore him, he's lying - no-one mixes on headphones!

Last edited: 17 Jun 2011
  10. longweight

It is definitely worth trying, are there any audio stores near to you? Luckily a colleague has a set so it wasn't too hard for me to try!

11. rv88uk

rv88uk What's a Dremel?

See if you can find a pair of Sennheiser HD595s in your price range, I used them for about 4 years and they are excellent. They're not too hard to drive and they sound great for movies as well. Only negatives would be fairly limited bass, and they have quite a 'warm' sound (may actually be a preference depending on taste). They are open headphones, but I've found this gives headphones a more natural sound, as others have said it's best to just try a few out. See what Grados are in your price range too, I've heard they have a more aggressive/punchy sound (can't verify this personally) which may suit your music preferences.

12. DeadP1xels

Im deciding between a pair of headphones and a new source..... i have some frends true black headphones cost £65 they work fine great sound isolaters get a bit uncomfortable after a few hours but im a man i can take it.

My zen has stopped working properlu and my whole budget audiophile rig is'nt as portable as i would like. (pocket bulge)

Im thinking ditch this idea till i can get to a show or something where i can feel them for myself and test them out and replace my zen with a sansa clip and 16gb micro sd for a 24gb Flac monster that is barely noticeable in my pocket??

Meh lots of choices to make

13. NeilJM

NeilJM What's a Dremel?

You'll not be disappointed by the clip - but budget in a Fiio too.

14. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

I have the HD595's and can vouch for them, what they lack in bass they definately make up for with clarity of sound and the feeling of having music completely surrounding your head, feeling like you're actually in the music is amazing. Also after 2 years of throwing blaring music at them they've only just started to have a very faint fuzz at a very certain frequency, only found 2 songs that bring it up.

15. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I've got a real love for my Grado SR-80's if you fancy something other than the superb HD595's. I've had these for coming on six years now and they still sound great.

16. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

I'm wondering what you went for in the end? I recently purchased a set of Grado SR-60i's and am more than happy.

17. Sponge12349

Sponge12349 (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ ︵ ┻━┻

18. Huge

Huge aka Dave

I like all this love for the Grados, got some SR80s myself, brilliant headphones with exceptional sound quality. I bought mine second hand for under £70. They are highly recommended for your price range.

Also, did you know that headphones have a 'burning in' period? An amount of time just after purchase where they don't sound quite as they are meant to yet because the parts need to wear out a little to stretch to their designed shapes and sizes. Bare that in mind if you are trying out brand new headphones, try and find some that have been used for a few months without abuse.

...Just realised how old this thread is. Nevermind, I've typed it all now!

19. penryn 2 hertz

penryn 2 hertz I'm not a science fiction writer...

+++ 1:thumb::thumb::thumb: i have a pear of Grado sr80i (i) mean improved sound:D:D:D

20. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

+1 to this, Grado truly are one of the best headphone manufactures in the world in my opinion :)