1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Car advice

Discussion in 'General' started by Westovski, 22 May 2013.

1. Westovski

Westovski What's a Dremel?

Hi guys,

Bit of a lurker here, don't post too often but always read.

Anywho, you guys always seem to give cracking advice re: motors, so here's my query for you.

I'm currently a home based worker but potentially going to have to start working out of the office a lot more frequently (new bosses :sigh:).

This will involve a daily 70 mile commute. My current vehicle is really not up to that and the petrol consumption is high.

I've got a budget of around 10k probably, and i'm thinking i'd like something practical, economic and comfortable but still something that can park in a work car park and not be laughed at! haha.

I'd also prefer a saloon size as we're inevitably going to be starting a family in the next few years.

I've looked at 4wds as we live in a very hilly area and the snow in the last few years has been crazy, but that immediately clashes with the economy of the vehicle so i've pretty much written that option off.

Thanks in advance!

2. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Any vehicle based on the VAG group 1.9 TDI, so an audi, VW, Skoda or Seat; if you get my drift. They give a decent return MPG, pull fairly well and are tidy cars.

I've been wanting to get a Skoda Octavia or Audi A4 estate variants for a while now as an economy hack and family outing vehicle. There built very well, and if serviced correctly will see or 200K trouble free mileage.

There is big love for the Skoda fabia VRS (diesel) on this forum, so it's a matter of time before someone mentions one. Basically the same engine just a different tune map.

Oh and for Krikkit's sake, Saab Saab Saab Saab! Saab! (I like my Saab's)

3. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

New or 2nd hand?

The Mrs has a DS3 HDi-e and that's good on the motorway, great on juice and next to no road tax. Not a single prob since new and it goes all over. Look pretty decent too.

Would guess 2nd hand they are well sub 10k.

4. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

was going to suggest something small and diesel ^^ the PSA engines are pretty good;

my parents get 60+ mpg in their focus 1.6 diesel

5. Westovski

Oh yes, probably 2nd hand - never had a new car and not really bothered about paying the premium for one. Thanks so far, i've certainly considered an Audi A4 estate before actually.

6. Westovski

FYI - another car i've been considering is a Mazda 6.

7. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I'll get over-ruled for an Audi, but my 2p:

Buy something in the £5-6k price area, keep another £2k or so aside for general maintenance and upgrades to keep it feeling nice (i.e. start out with a decent car and keep it decent with regular suspension maintenance etc rather than waiting for it to feel knackered).

Don't get too hung up on economy over something that is more comfortable and relaxing, 350 miles a week in traffic will be a hard slog if you haven't got comfy seats and a nice ride. For the same reason I'd take an auto - there is a small economy loss, but the extra convenience and relaxation factor is more than worth it imo. Bigger, longer-wheelbase is generally much more comfortable. A DS3 or similar small car is good at hyper-economy, but they're just not comfy enough imo.

A good set of winter tyres makes a big difference - buy a 2nd set of wheels and have them fitted, rotate them to your summer tyres every 6 months. You take a cost hit to start with, but tyre wear is shared between wheels over the year. I know every man and his dog have banged on about them, but my experience with them has been universally positive.

I think my choice would be a Volvo S80 D5. The seats are cosseting, the suspension supple, and the stereo is fantastic. This one looks a very nice buy, as long as it's had a cambelt recently.

8. Westovski

Thanks for that, never considered a volvo at all before!

What sort've MPG should I be looking for do you think?

It's approx 20 miles of M1 and the rest is mostly bypass.

9. Westovski

Also, rep if someone can find me one that's got DAB built in (6Music for the win!)

10. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

that Volvo is pretty much the best of the best (for that car) - left field of a bmw and that one is pretty much fully loaded, the heated seats are a cost option
    as is the box
    new they are around £35k!

11. Krikkit

You're looking at about 40mpg combined, more on a gentle cruise. Budget for £50 of commuting fuel a week and you're about right. Volvo have been making some very comfy wafters for a long time, if I end up with a long commute a D5 S60/S80 will be top of my list. Short of an S-class, there's not much that will be comfier than that (a Citroen C6 would be, and at a bigger budget I'd have one in a second, but I am fond of French cars).

12. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

13. Krikkit

Phwoar. They've come down a fair way since I looked at them last. I'd have to build a hybrid one though, I can't stand light-coloured dashed and wheels, but love the seats. Getting the dash and steering wheel re-covered in black would be worth it though. :D

14. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

15. Ljs

Ljs Modder

16. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

bleh that's your opinion - like Krikkit I like French cars as well ;)

its different , and a lot of car for the money , and the engines are rock solid - that 2.7 v6 HDi is used by ford (and land rover)

don't get the 2.2 HDi though , either the 2 litre or the V6`s (the 2.2 is not good one imo)

if , as our friend above , you don't like the looks - the floorpan and conventional suspension was used in the pug 607 , but again avoid the 2.2HDi if you can as the 2.7 V6 is a better engine

Last edited: 22 May 2013
  17. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

I know you specified a saloon body, but for work I drive a 1.4HDi 207 it costs £55-60 to fill the tank which gives me roughly 600-650 miles. Yes it isn't very fast but it will happily cruise along at 80mph. Not a saloon but a larger hatchback could be an option?

A lot of people bitch and moan about French cars but they have been by far the most reliable of all the cars I've driven, and the built quality has massively improved to the point there isn't really much difference between them and the Germans imo.

18. Ljs

Ljs Modder

[​IMG]

Hah, it has nothing to do with the country of origin, it just looks hideous.

I've only ever owned French cars and compared to others I wouldn't say they are hugely less reliable than other marques or whatnot, but they aren't as well put together. That said, I haven't owned one of the newer ones so perhaps things have improved.

19. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

I just gripe about `French electrics`..... almost as much as ford gearboxes.... ;)

20. Westovski

I currently drive a Citroen C2 GT - which whilst fun when i first bought it 7 years ago, it's now a royal pain in the arse.

I just associate comfort with a bigger ride I think. I could be wrong though.

The Volvo is nice, the C6, well, i'll not be unkind, is not my cup of tea. I always quite liked the look of the hatchback C4's though.