1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Life Expectancy running 24/7

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by shortmunky, 29 Feb 2012.

1. shortmunky

shortmunky What's a Dremel?

Still very new to this so sorry is this is a bit of an dumb question.

I'm running my rig 24/7 though not dedicated and basically I wondered what effect (if any) running it all the time will have on the life expectancy of the CPU, PSU etc?

Also, I'm not currently using my GPU, if I were to start using how would it's life expectancy be effected running 24/7?

Thanks in advance.

2. StreetSam

StreetSam Minimodder

Depends if you have it heavily overclocked/volted. If not then no real danger it will last longer than the CPU will stay useful. As for the PSU if it is a good make and is only providing ~half it's rated power it will be good for the life of the computer (over five years).

Again depends on the card, but GPUs aren't designed to run flat out 24/7, and it may only last a year, or less. Especially if it is a nVidia 200 series.

3. cave_diver

cave_diver Minimodder

Well it's putting your complete system under a 100% load unrelentingly - the key element is cooling - that will determine life expectancy.

I've overclocked the arse out of my E6750 from 2.66 to 3.7 gig's and I'm cramming 1.5/6(something) volts through it, but I've got a daft tower cooler on it in push-pull and it's got about 4 120mm fans (just on the side panel - I've got an Antec LanBoy Air case) throwing air over it (and the mobo/gpu) so it's quite happy at about 55 degrees.

Same with the GPU - it's sharing part of the hurricane from the side panel (plus others as well) and with the fan (its a GTX260) on 100% plus the hurricane it's sitting at high 50's - low 60's if I've left the bedroom window closed!

You mentioned the PSU as well. My rig is pulling about 350 watts, so you I've made sure I've got a PSU that can consistently do that - so I've got a branded one (first reason) and one thats 550W so that the PSU is at a good load to be efficient without being over-loaded, therefore leading to a reduced life-span.

So ...

Short answer is yes it shortens the life, but that can be mitigated with good cooling.

4. Mark_Skeldon

Mark_Skeldon What's a Dremel?

Tough question. As mentioned above, if you're tearing the arse off it 24/7 with a massive OC and lots of volts, then yes you'll reduce the life. Not by a huge amount though.

Having a system on 24/7 at a constant temperature is the key. The heating and subsequent cooling of a system (in my experience) degrades the life of the equipment more quickly when compared to a machine that is always on.

Think of a datacentre, the equipment only ever goes off when you're patching :p

5. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

this ^^ I run my home rigs 24/7 just for this reason.. my server is crunching hours on end too- keep good airflow is key and blow it out every month or two.. you also want to make sure you've taken apart and re-tim everything- including the gpu, chipset cooling.. that's a big part of it imo too

also your oc should be done manually in the bios, using the least amount of voltage you can get away with on the chipset and cpu, memory.. get your temps good.. if it's stable say after a couple days of pyrit or folding- probably going to stay that way unless you get huanged

6. shortmunky

shortmunky What's a Dremel?

Thanks very much guys, I've not overclocked it as of yet but once I do I'll make sure to keep the temp stable - more fans me thinks (one of the advantages of an Antec LanBoy Air - loads of fan space).

The advice is most appreciated :)

7. Mark_Skeldon

Mark_Skeldon What's a Dremel?

No problems :)

Regarding he fans; it's not the volume of fans that makes the difference it's the quality and CFM. Get good quality items like the Scythe Gentle Typoons and you shouldn't have a problem. You'll also not have a rig that sounds like a Chinook on a landing cycle :lol: