1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sixense's 3D input device is awesome

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 27 Aug 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

seems like there is a bunch of interesting input devices, concepts and technologies coming out in the next few years for computing

3. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

Ooh, imagine multi-touch for manipulating files on your desktop and then gaming fps with this..
    I would so never leave the house if that becomes consumer level. Want.. Both.

4. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

It sounds interesting, but they need better demos. The wiimote could do the exactly same thing as this in the paintball demo (maybe not quite as accurate). And the wiimote is a very simple piece of tech. It's all about interpreting the data. Did they say what kind of data is provided by the device? More than position and acceleration?

5. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

Anybody else have the thought of using the device in this game?
    [​IMG]

6. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

To me true tactile augmentation of the digital world needs to be put in place. Why stop at a controller? Why not make gloves with electrical response feedback? Something that makes you feel the shape of whatever your fondeling? Even a simple device would be enough, cause the human brain would do the rest! Its kinda like driving a car, ever get the sensation of extension of your limbs to the rest of the car? I think a device, with more ergonomics and interface, could do such a thing.

Great tech no doubt, and perhaps it'll lead to more consumer devices that I stated above. This kinda stuff just sends my mind racing!

:)

7. -EVRE-

-EVRE- What's a Dremel?

bit like running a piece of heavy equipment ^^

8. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Hmm, this is uncannily like a Virtual Reality setup from years ago, but more 2d.

I was lucky enough, when I was in the first year of a course at Teesside Uni, to go down to a show at Wembley where they were demoing up and coming tech. There were A LOT of SGI computers running 3d apps and some very expensive gear with virtual reality helmets hooked up. I'd managed to get a go on one and, holding the controller in my hand, was able to manipulate 3d objects in a room. Pretty cool at the time (around 1996).

9. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

oooh i want the lightsaber one!!! :D

10. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

man the guy talking about TF2 in background is a little way too loud.

11. ParaHelix.org

ParaHelix.org What's a Dremel?

Well, this is very bad technology compared to the Wii controller hacks that are out there, the best one, which also features head tracking so the screen even seems 3D is this...http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~johnny/projects/wii/ <<<THIRD VIDEO!

Tags: Add Tags