1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Music I'd like to build a tube radio/amp combo for the house

Discussion in 'General' started by KayinBlack, 11 Nov 2014.

1. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

I'm currently listening to "The War of the Worlds" with the wife, and we're great fans of Night Vale, and getting into listening to old serials and such. We've looked at restoring an old radio, but it's a daunting task, even with an oscilloscope and multimeter. I can make a dim bulb tester, but I would still need a tube tester, or else just toss and replace.

I've looked at something like a two tube regenerative kit, but that kind of ought to be hooked to an amp. If I need one, I'd like to make it as well. But there are lots of tube amp kits out there as well, and I'm not sure how to match them. But I'm sold on tubes for both, if I even need the amp. The AM transmitter is a tube affair, and I'd like the rest to match-they'll be out on display even when not in use.

Maybe I should try restoring an All American Five, I'm really not sure. I just want something that when I'm done I can say "I did that." Audiophiles feel free to chime in.

I'm looking at a top end of $150 for the radio, and if it takes that much, I'd rather it not need an amp. If my money would be best spent restoring one, let me know. I'm looking for a nice project for the cold nights ahead, cause my wife has her PG 00 Raiser to work on.

2. TheCherub

TheCherub Minimodder

Have a look here: www.hifiwigwam.com/forum.php

More specifically, the DIY section. Feel free to sign up and ask questions there too. Some seriously knowledgeable people on there, including several who design and build valve amps for a living.

*Disclaimer; I moderate on that forum*