1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Mobile phone repair

Discussion in 'General' started by Awoken, 9 Apr 2013.

1. Awoken

Awoken Gazing at the stars

Has anyone ever used a mobile phone repair shop? Were you happy with the results?
    My wife dropped her HTC Desire S today and the screen shattered. The touch screen still functions but we're trying to decide whether to get it repaired or get a new phone. Thanks for any experiences you can offer :thumb:

2. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Probably be cheaper to buy a new phone then have the screen replaced!

YEHBABY likes this.
  3. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

I say find the parts on ebay and do it :) You can purchase the LCD and the touchscreen for less than 40$.

4. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I've only ever done it myself. I wouldn't dream of entrusting to someone else something I can do a lot cheaper myself.

Ifixit is your friend. No previous experience necessary.

5. woody_294

woody_294 Wizard Ninja :P

+1 for a diy fix, done it to a couple of phones, fiddly but doable

6. freshsandwiches

freshsandwiches Can I do science to it?

I broke the screen on my Blackberry 9700 last week. I'm going to use ebay to buy the replacement screen and do it myself. I done that a couple of times for a Nokia I had and it was fine. Usually the necessary tools are supplied as well which is helpful.

7. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Either DIY with a screen from a reputable seller* or of you are a complete DIYphobe**, get a reputable local repair shop to do it for you. Obviously I can't comment on the reliability of phone repair shops because I do all of my own repairs as well as for the general public. The others are right though, no previous experience is necessary and honestly, if I can point an old school friend who isn't very experienced with hardware repair (software programmer) at an iPhone 4 iFixit guide and an eBay seller to get her new screen from and give her a few pointers over Skype, you should be able to get a new screen in a Desire S just fine.

*eBay is littered with cheap knockoff screens which if you care about the quality of the original screen, will utterly disappoint you - always check feedback on similar items when buying spares on fleabay.

**Some people don't know how to hold a screwdriver properly. You may laugh and think I'm joking, but I've seen it :rolleyes: