1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Wallpapering cost advice

Discussion in 'General' started by Mister_Tad, 15 Aug 2016.

1. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

So, I'm getting a few walls papered, single "feature" walls. Before anyone says it's a piece of urine so do it yourself: I hate wallpapering. It's flappy, messy, drippy, sticky and not at all something in which I'd like to be involved. I did my last papering job myself to good effect, but only because I couldn't find a decorator that convinced me they would do a decent job, and hated every second of it.

So, I've found a decorator based on a few recommendations, he's come round and on the basis of his visit and recommendations I was 100% convinced that he would do an immaculate job, and 100% convinced he would be expensive.

The quote has landed today and confirmed the second point.

So, I consult thee, the brain trust, what sort of ballpark should I be paying for three feature walls, sanded, primed, sized and cross-lined (I'm provide the paper, but nothing else):

- 4.2m, simple wall, one 135" angle, a few sockets and a lightswitch, 8' ceiling, patterned paper.
    - 5.2m, also simple, just a few sockets and a pipe box in the corner, 8.5' ceiling, patterned paper.
    - 10m, not at all simple, lots of angles, three doors, sockets, switches and a radiator, with a sloped ceiling towards one end (under the stairs), 8.5' ceiling and again, a patterned paper.

I'm not interested in bargain basement, but the quote is more than I expected, and I was expecting on the expensive end, so just want to check if my expectations were unrealistic, or I should find someone else.

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I paid £50 for a feature wall but I had done all of the prep work. He charged me £40 but I was so chuffed with it I bunged him a tenner. Then he went to leave and found out he'd got a £50 parking ticket.

Irony....

I've no idea tbh dude. I don't think P&Ds charge the same as leccys and plumbers but any one in the building trade who is worth anything wants top dollar now. Manual labor is no longer cheap.

3. rollo

rollo Modder

For simple none patterned wall paper we were charged around £50 for a 4 meter wall. The patterned wall which is Aprox 7 meters was around £100

4. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Last edited: 2 Jan 2018
  5. rollo

rollo Modder

Further to this if you know the person it can be cheap, Real rates vary widely. 1 Wall none prepped is easily a 3hour job if not longer. Could easily see a bill of £200 before matierals for that.

Most Decoraters give 2 prices, 1 pre prepped, 1 none prepped.

I can not wallpaper period and was happy to pay the man his bill at the end of the day. Looks 1000 times better than id of managed.

We did our living room, He glossed did the radiator. prepped the room, moved the furniture and was in and out in a day. Our longest wall is aprox 8 meters shortest about 5 meters. We paid around £400 for this.( He was in for 8am and left just before 6pm, So around what Jrs is qouting above) ( This cost does not include materials which we had pre brought)

6. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Cheers for the tips, I'll work out the likely cost for materials and query on the time he's expecting to spend on it under the guise of logistics to figure things out. I don't mind expensive if it's right, but don't want to be taken for a ride either.

I asked him to quote for three separate jobs, since two of the areas aren't ready for it yet, so I might see what doing the lot in one would be and just get my act together painting those rooms - I expect there's accounting for several half-days to leave drying time in between steps (surely it's bad practice to sand, prime, line and paper in the same day?)

I never wanted "cheap", but in my head I was thinking the lot would probably be around £750 (but had no real sound basis for that expectation), and it's nigh on double that.