1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Drone charging issues

Discussion in 'General' started by Xir, 15 Nov 2016.

1. Xir

Xir Modder

A question to the electronics geniusses out there.

I was gifted a small quadrocopter, a nice toy. This thing runs on a 3.7V LiPo cell.
    The charger that comes with it is USB-based. Charger in laptop USB port, LiPo-Cell conncts to charger, charging occurs.

Now I didn't want to use the laptop to charge these, and I have two tablet charger wallplugs, that give out 5V via USB, at 2000mA.

So tablet charger wallplug in plug, USB-charger in USB, LiPo-cell connected...no charging :confused:
    I turned the wallplug around (we can here) charging works. :confused:

What the heck does the wallplug do different than the computer USB-port (apart from beeing stronger)?

2. Xir

Xir Modder

Retestet it with a different USB-Charger. Similar effect.

This is a 4 cell charger, so I connected 4 cells. With the wallplug, one, maybe to cells would charge.
    On the computer USB-port, all cells charge.
    4 Cells means ~1500mA, so the wallplug should be doing fine, while the computer-USB-port should take a lot longer.

I don't get it.

3. Xir

Xir Modder

Tested with two different tablet wallplugchargers.
    Same effect :confused:

Both charge a tablet or a phone or a powerbank fine.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Sounds to me like the battery charger is doing actual USB negotiation for the power - i.e. if you do an lsusb (or your operating system's equivalent) it'll appear as a device. The Sony DualShock controllers do the same thing, which is massively annoying: you can charge 'em by pluggin them into a laptop, desktop, or the PlayStation 3 itself, but they won't charge from a smartphone charger or battery pack.

Xir likes this.
  5. Xir

Xir Modder

Ah? Didn't know that, learn something every day.
    Though I can't imagine why they'd build something like that into a cheap-as-chips charger.

6. daveypro

daveypro Minimodder

guess the ps4 dual shocks are different? as i charge them off my ankey multi usb iq charger thing.

7. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

I assume that by turn it around, you mean flip the wall plug around swapping the live and neutral?

It's probably a quirk of auto-ranging power supplies. I have a charger for my asus TF101 that does 15V and 5V and it works fine either way in Canada, but when I was in Australia, it would only charge my phone one way around. I think the 15V (for tablet charging) actually worked either way around, oddly enough.

8. Xir

Xir Modder

Yes thats what I mean.

The weird part is, the tablets charge just fine, no matter which way the plug is in the wall. And my tablets charge by 5V usb.