1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News EA admits disappointment with Warfighter sales

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 1 Nov 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

There's a fine line to be tread here it seems. On one hand, more money gives them more development potential.

But the problem is, we're now going to experience an upsurge in rather jaded purchasers who bought MOHW and expected a polished game. Sure it probably is now, but still, reputations go a long way.

3. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Well after the state of this game I won't be buying any more games made by Danger Close in the future unless they have a Beta so I can atleast try them on my pc.

Buggy gameplay.

Poor graphics that look like the game was made 5 years ago even on max detail settings.

No VOIP disable option, so that you can either have it on and hear everyone or off and hear no one.

Small map's that make the Call Of Duty maps look massive.

Limited amount of maps.

Enemy players die faster in Softcore than they do in Immersive which is Hardcore to regular people.

Cheaters are running rampant because Punkbuster isn't working properly and there is no Rcon type tool's around.

Weapons unlock system is not easy to figure out.

Spawn system is messed up.

Game doesn't remember what you have set as a weapon class, meaning you have to set it each time you load the game.

Game crashes forcing a pc reboot after leaving 1 server to join another, this happens even after a fresh install of Win7/8, cpu oc'd or not and Beta or Non Beta drivers.

Pings are all over the place, UK servers giving pings of over 200ms but BF3 servers give pings of just over 35ms.

I am still playing it because I understand that some of the issues will be fixed in patches, but the fact that they have made this game look so bad is a joke.

I have just got my Alpha Key through for the Crysis 3 Alpha trial that starts tomorrow, and I am fairly confident that the game even in Alpha stage is going to perform, feel and look better than Medal Of Honor.

I still think that the game at half price because of being a BF3 Premium Member was to much, after playing it as the developers in my oppinion do not deserve to be paid for this failure of a game.

4. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

EA really do struggle to make good games now it seems. There's a few out there, sure. But you can see it even with titles like FIFA13, which should not be a hard game to make, they've been churning them out for years, yet even this is a long way from being great. EA are getting a reputation for making very average games, and it's infecting the brands they own, like Bioware.

Not saying EA will ever die off, they have so many sure-fire franchises going on for that to happen and a virtual monopoly on sports games, but they are going to feel the pinch unless start to do better.

5. ShinyAli

ShinyAli What's a Dremel?

Good to see someone give an opinion on a game and actually give some constructive criticism
    rather than "It's crap BF3 kicks it's ass" as so many people (10 year olds do :rolleyes:)

It's always disappointing when a new game in a series you have been playing for years is a let down, I've don't play online but it seems that it is as flawed as the single player game as demonstrated in this video, unfortunately it does seem like many new games are aimed at young players that need to be lead through a level, hence, the very strict linear game play.

The official EA response says the game needs a "receptive audience" so does that mean 10 year old xboxers who think any game with guns is a good game and who won't notice or question the limitations of the game.

I never take much notice of what self appointed ranting game critics have to say on youtube but this video does appear to show the very restricted game play in the single player mode of Warfighter, literally if you stray off your chosen path you die :nono:
    If EA released a patch which allowed completely non linear game play then I would try it but as that's highly unlikely and probably impossible to do anyway I'll go play good old MoH Allied Assault Warchest :rock:

6. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

I don't bother with MOH anymore, the series has always been hit and miss. I bought the last one because they sounded like they were rebooting the series and had developed it properly but it turned out average at best. They should just lay the whole MOH franchise to rest already.

7. blacko

blacko What's a Dremel?

In my head MOH couldn't/shouldn't have been worse than BF3 in terms of bugs and graphics etc as the they are using the same engine. However some where along the line Danger Close have messed something up. Be it artists, programmers or producers. Someone took the decision to mess around with something that kind of worked in the first place (BF3) in order to create something that felt/looked different to the offerings in the stable.

We need an inquest. Get that bloke with the beard from Games Master on the case..Dominic what ever hes called. Something at EA has to change.

8. Neoki

Neoki Minimodder

Whats your view on Halo 4?

9. phoenixck

phoenixck What's a Dremel?

Brilliant analysis, the issue for myself was that despite using the frostbite engine it looks like a poor console port (which in essence it is, though the menus don't make sense on any platform).

I think we all expected a much prettier game after all despite all its flaws, bf3 is a very very good looking game.

10. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

Dominic Diamond.....not forgetting the Golden Joystick Award!

11. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

It looks terrible, so it's not surprising.

On the flip side I think it was a bad move to follow CoD out of the past. MoH wasn't and isn't about that. The recent games have been a very dim flicker of what made the original on PSX and for that matter Allied Assault the great games they are. Extremely atmospheric, gritty and authentic solo experience. And not cashing in on Xbox Live home grown 13 year olds with no recollection of the first games or for that matter what makes a good game.

Last edited: 1 Nov 2012
  12. Paulg1971

Paulg1971 Minimodder

The trouble is that if people keep buying these average games that EA keep churning out things are unlikely to change. If they are still making millions where is the incentive to make better games with new ideas.

13. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

I really wish they'd do this with both CoD and MoH. Want to keep making churned out shooters for ritalin-fueled console kids? Go for it, just don't tarnish the franchises that many of us used to love!

Compare the latest installment from each franchise to their respective originals and you'd be hard pressed to tell that they were part of the same series. That's when you know it's time to move on.

14. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

Welcome to the last 10 years.

15. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

After getting my pants pulled down with MOH/BF3beta/BF3 I'm giving both franchises a miss for at least a few years till they make something good. I'll never preorder an EA game again, unless something major changes.

16. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Now now Yahtzee. ;)

The reason behind this I gather is purely investment safety. Why make new risky IP and dump millions when you can re-hash old IP? It's kind of the similar thing that pop music and rather bland mainstream East/West-Coast hip hop has going on. The fact that there are innovations is entirely thrown under the bus by the executives (nebulous folk they are) who wish to have not only a good ROI but something that's easily sold.

It also doesn't help that most video gamers do indeed act like Ritalin-fueled children. I understand that there are serious gamers, but the reality (and the sad one) is that honestly we're the minority preaching for a more serious and artistic genre. Look at all the games that HAVE reached this perfect equilibrium...

Most are all but forgotten.

Tags: Add Tags