1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Asus ROG Poseidon GTX 780 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 14 Feb 2014.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Not read the full review... yet! But I had to come and just say that I do think that is the best looking 'off the shelf' piece of PC hardware I have ever seen.

Also, I do think the price is not that bad either considering the ASUS DirectCUII card is only £60 less expensive. If I was considering spending that much on the air cooled ASUS card I think I would definitely pay the extra and get this instead. The only thing that would make me think twice is if they plan to release a Ti version at all...

3. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

Just lovely.

4. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Personally I think that this card is beautiful when compared with other air cooled cards, but hideous when compared to a card fitted with a normal block.

I can certainly see the useful side of this though. If anything it would be great thanks to the flexibility of not having to change from air to water and vice versa when circumstances change. If you're redoing a loop for instance, you could just run I on air whilst you sort other things out (just slap a simple heatsink on the CPU for that time). This is a fair bit more practical than having to remove the blocks and put the air coolers back on, or simply not have the option of using the PC at all in the interim.

5. Panos

Panos Minimodder

Another great review from bit-tech. Keep the good work guys.

In general, while the card is beautiful, at the price (£500) maybe tad bit expensive if go only for air?

A Zotac 780Ti AMP goes for £530, and a Palit 780Ti Jetstream for£519 which are pre overclocked to 1000 already.

6. Si_the-dude

Si_the-dude Techaholics Anonymous. 0 days clean

Pure sexytimes. Recent purchases aside I'd been waiting on ASUS releasing the TI version of this. I hope they do as this is a mighty fine bit o'kit! Good work ASUS!

7. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Good idea and looks good? I missed the boat. Bought too early in this gen... :(

8. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

If only they'd transfer these technologies over to an AMD 290 - then I'd have bought one... two actually.

When building a rig, it's a constant cause of frustration that I have to build once with Air cooling, then switch over component by component to test each installation of the water blocks - with component like this coming pre fitted, you can test it when it arrives by just plugging it in, then cut over to water cooling, piece by piece.

A great concept that looks exceptionally well delivered. Now all they have to do for me is have the fans as a clip on/off feature that reduces the waterblock down to a single card thickness for SLI purposes....

9. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Exactly! To stop constant tear downs, I need to basically buy another pump so I can test the block before chucking it in. That or just putting it in there and hoping for the best...

10. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

I love this. Asus... We want more

11. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Hmm, now I'm wondering... This or an EVGA 780 Classified next payday? Decisions decisions....

FWIW I'm leaning towards this because it comes ready to liquid cool and also with a backplate, neither of which are true for the Classified unless you go for the Hydro Copper version, which doesn't allow running and testing without a loop installed and running. It's looking like EVGA just got done out of a sale by Asus. Again.

Last edited: 16 Feb 2014
  12. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

Hybridized air/water cooler?

[​IMG]

YEHBABY likes this.
  13. SchizoFrog

Is there any news about full cover water blocks for an ASUS GTX 760? I am thinking that if I went with ASUS (which I very much want to) then I would have to go with a GTX 770 rather than my GTX 760 choice and that is significantly more and would probably be above my limits... OR go with another GTX 760 supplier.

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

GTX 770 Poseidon should be on sale this month.

15. SchizoFrog

Well if it has the same mark up as this version it is going to come in just under the lower priced OC'd and custom cooled GTX 780's at around £350.

16. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

You know where to send it :D

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Email Gareth ;)

Also 'should' = no commitment :cooldude:

Tags: Add Tags