1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs The Jumping Game

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 2 Oct 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. Ripitup121

Ripitup121 MMMMMMm watercooling....

Oh yes, spent many an hour in skyrim playing this too.... epic

3. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

You've caught me red-handed. Pretty much every game I've ever played, I spent more time trying to reach places I'm usually not supposed to reach than actually playing the game.

4. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

ha, I've also done this in skyrim

5. barrkel

barrkel What's a Dremel?

Skyrim pretty much requires it in order to take full advantage of stealth when attacking bigger dragons at lower levels. Those encounters are staged as head-on cinematic things, but stealth characters aren't built for that.

Far Cry (the first one) had a couple of levels that greatly rewarded climbing mountains. Combine that with a sniper rifle and it can make you feel pretty good. It's my preferred tactic in FPSes; get them before they see you, from a place they can't get to, through careful recon and planning. Feels much more realistic - hate getting hit, never mind dying, don't have any Rambo fantasies and think that style of play (which Crysis encouraged) a bit too unrealistic, breaks immersion for me.

6. Bobman

Bobman What's a Dremel?

It seems this is the PC gamer's lot in life! I too jump.

7. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

L4D Dead Air, Runway Finale. Once you learn you can get up on top of the hercules!

Used to take ten minutes of setup to allow us on top, but sweet joy of joys when playing from that vantage point. High risk but a lovely view :)

8. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

I jumped all the way up to High Hrothgar on my first play through of Skryim....... it took a while.

9. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Wow... same. I spend literally hours doing this. One of the first games I discovered it on was the gameboy Zelda, Link's awakening http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Zelda:_Link's_Awakening

I discovered you didn't need to do the bosses to get places. You just had to be really persistent at jumping.

Ever since then, if I play a game with jumping, most of my time is spent repeatedly jumping at stuff in the hope I can ascend it.

The single most frustrating gaming experience I've had recently is playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Many times I would find boxes, crates, bins and all sorts of stuff, stack them up and try to jump into the scenery and make my escape to digital freedom. Only to find once on the platform looking down into my reward I am bound by some sort of invisible force that prevents me from living my new life in the matrix.

Strangely though, I don't like platforming games... go figure?

10. abezors

abezors Lurking since '08

I just had my entire years worth of jumping in Black Mesa. The ol' crouch-jump is so satisfying to pull off.

11. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

I used to play this in the original Crysis on the mountain tops looking for shortcuts.

12. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

I remember in that HL2 demo they did (can't for the life of me remember what it's called) getting way off into the background and the other side of the bay, and all the houses were 2D! Joyous discovery!

13. Griffter

Griffter What's a Dremel?

latest game that i did this was dear esther... u slide so slowly down certain steepish walls/boulders that u think u can jump over this somehow.

14. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I remember that, Lost Coast, you could get in the water and out again if you were fast enough not to get eaten alive by the water borne nasties.

15. cjb119

cjb119 What's a Dremel?

What will be the first game to actually recognize this though? and give you a rope and hook to clamber up these things (not Just Cause style though!

16. Darkowl

Darkowl What's a Dremel?

I'm amazed that there isn't a mention of the Jump map mods in TFC. They made jumping a precise science. Though I will admit that their purpose was actually to perform jumps.

17. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

CS:S cs_office map
    Arma 2/DayZ (not strictly jumping)
    Oblivion, Skyrim
    and many many others

Last edited: 2 Oct 2012
  18. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

19. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

I did this yesterday in WOT, yes World of Tanks.

Managed to get my friend to push my tank up a massive rock that was unpassable, and sat up there sniping and lighting up the enemy tanks.

Was also really fun taking my T44 down the hill at 70 shooting at them when I got bored.

20. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

First happened to me in Zelda: the Windwaker. I just NEEDED to get to those ruins in the background of underwater Hyrule...

Since then it's happened to me in pretty much every game where you can jump, especially Skyrim etc.

Tags: Add Tags