1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Telephone Socket ON/OFF Switch

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Blogins, 26 May 2014.

1. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Googled this but couldn't find a solution. Just need a simple switch to turn off a phone socket. I know I can pull the phone line but I'm looking for a more elegant method if it's available! Any ideas?

2. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

I think your question requires another. What are you doing that requires you to need to turn off and on your telephone socket?

3. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Little thing called 'Shift Working'! :D

4. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

5. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Some phones have the option to silence the ringer. Just a thought.

G0UDG likes this.
  6. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

Shift Switching?

7. *Alex*

*Alex* What's a Dremel?

When I was younger my Mum used to have a key operated phone socket that she could switch on an off cant think what it was called though!

8. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

If you have a phone with a built in answer phone set it to the lowest ring count. Or alternatively just leave it off the hook?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

9. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

Build a VoIP system that calls work when they try to call you?

Or go with your simple solution

10. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

Just found this on the virgin media page http://help.virginmedia.com/system...LANGUAGE=en&COUNTY=us&VM_CUSTOMER_TYPE=Cable

"Gigaset have a range of home phones which include a number of features to help prevent unwanted calls. These features include:
    Anonymous Call Blocking or Silencing - whenever a call is made to your phone without the caller presenting their number, the phone will either send them back a busy tone (so they think the phone is engaged), or send the caller to the answering machine without the phone ringing so not to disturb you.

Black List - if there is a specific number that you don’t want calling you, just add it to the Black List. Callers from black-listed numbers will either hear busy tone (engaged) or be sent to the answering machine silently without disturbing you.

Do Not Disturb - set the phone for it not to ring during specific periods of the day or night. All calls will go silently to the answering machine, unless the caller is in your VIP list in which case the phone will still ring."

Don't know what phone you have, but it may have such a feature.

11. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Let explain the circumstances a little more! Working on a shift in the early hours means I need some undisturbed shut eye after midday. Inevitably people decide it's a good idea to phone me then! So I pull a couple of phone lines. I would prefer a simple socket bound switch but it doesn't appear to exist. :(

12. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

Splice into a telephone extender (pound store?) and stick in a switch if there isn't a ready made solution to be found.

13. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

You can buy handsets which have a "do not disturb function" on them. Our Panasonic cordless system has it as a menu option. ferret141's method will also work, but requires a little bit of :dremel:

14. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I thought it was illegal to do anything to a phone line past the socket/phone connection.
    Although i maybe going on hear say, or out of date information.

15. Sp!

Sp! Minimodder

it's illegal to do anything behind the master socket, anything forward of that (i.e connected to the bottom half of the plate that screws off) is your responsibility so your free to do what ever you like.

16. fev

fev Industry Fallout

17. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

I don't think Bloggins wants to lock it off to prevent use, I think he simply doesn't want the darned thing to ring when he's asleep.

Uni's right, I have a "night mode" on my handsets that allows me to specify the time range when I don't want it to ring (although I've only set it on the handset upstairs as the downstairs one I can't hear upstairs anyway). So it's specific to the handset.

That sounds more like what you want ... unless you regularly change shift, in which case you'll have to reset the timeframe.