1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: C&C GDI War Factory (*New Video*)+ Ion Cannon (August MOTM)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by milotic858, 18 Jul 2008.

1. milotic858

milotic858 What's a Dremel?

This is my first from scratch case mod and with the encouragement of the hubby, I decided to post a worklog. This is my attempt to recreate and bring to life the GDI War Factory from the Command and Conquer 3 game series.

I have some screen shots for me to analyze and stare at all day…. Not sure how this will all come together. Posts should come pretty quickly, I want to be done by August.

[​IMG]

I had some leftover cardboard and thought I would do a test run of what it would look like. It is going to be bigger then I thought.

[​IMG]

Okay… I have to admit, this is harder then it looks…who knew a straight line could be so difficult. I was transferring some measurements to plexi and ooooops… measure twice, cut once right guys…

[​IMG]

LOL I couldn’t see what I was cutting, so a piece of paper under the plexi made it easier to see. I had to readjust the saw several time in order to get the small openings on the top.

[​IMG]

J

Last edited: 3 Nov 2008
  2. TiTON

TiTON IRONMODS

Awesome!! I am a big fan of C&C series. I can't wait to see you bring this thing to life.

- Ton

3. Boddaker

Boddaker Still hangin around

Cool build! Are you just doing the trapezoidal building, or are you going to include the hexagon cannisters and overhead crane thing too?

4. MrWizard

MrWizard What's a Dremel?

Ooooh...that'd be SWEET :D

5. milotic858

The hexagon canister crates and the overhead crane are vital to the War Factory, so I definitely plan to include them. I have some ideas already and tried some things out. I hope to get the next post soon. My work on the crates went terribly wrong. :( Check back soon to see how I totally messed up :p

J

6. milotic858

If I can get the crates and the crane to look right, it would make it much better.

J

7. ChrisK

ChrisK What's a Dremel?

Great start. Can't wait to see more

8. milotic858

Did more modding this weekend, should have a post up soon. Just need to get all the pics together.

9. milotic858

A good idea gone horrible wrong :(

Okay…from the screen shot you can see there are crates on the side of the factory. Each time you make a vehicle it takes a crate and drops it in. Then poof out comes a tank or whatever you wanted…

I made a template for the shape of the crate, and then glued it to the end. Following the lines on the template, I traced it all the way down so that I could cut each side.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I even tried to turn the base of the scroll saw in order to try and get an angled cut.
    [​IMG]

The final hideous product… yes I know they look terrible, but it is all part of the process. Don’t think there is any way to save these.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Boddaker

Boddaker Still hangin around

Well, I think your cuts were pretty accurate, it's your template that is off. What you have is not a true hexagon, it's stretched in some way. Unfortunately, I forget my geometry and how to make a perfect hexagon. Something about having 120° angles all the way around and the centerlines have to be equal lengths, and go from point to point. But I would just save yourself the trouble and grab the shape off the internet and size it to your needs.

:D

11. milotic858

Thanks Boddaker, I think your right. So, I went online and found a pattern for a hexagonal prism that will work. I won’t be able to cut them from wood, but at least I have a pattern that I can work with.

Now the kids have some fun wood shapes to play with . :D

12. acey

acey What's a Dremel?

:O cant wait to see this one... any electronics?

@boddaker: you still modding mate?

13. milotic858

I'm working on it. I have most of my hardware lined up. I am having trouble figuring out what to do about the power supply, due the limitations of my mod.

14. acey

acey What's a Dremel?

you can probably get a base at the bottom of the building, sorta raise it higher and as a mobo tray then psu goes into the back of the.. uh.. garage or where the tanks come out in the game.

15. milotic858

The power supply that I was going to use was too big. So, I think your idea of raising it higher is right on. I will try to raise it higher and make it a two level structure. That way I can place a small shuttle power supply under the motherboard. I still need to look for the exact one that will fit my specifications.

16. milotic858

Scraped the idea of making crates from wood.

I am making crates from paper. Used a basic hexagonal prism pattern and added graphic to resemble the crates. This works out so much better.

Special thanks to TiTON from IRONMODS.com! He helped me create the pattern on the crates. If you have seen his mods you would agree with me that he has a great talent for realism.

http://www.ironmods.com/

I like this much better. Just had to print, cut, and glue together.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They stack really nice. I will make ten total.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

J

17. icutebluezone

icutebluezone The meaning of life is to MOD

Nice finger nail varnish. :) oh what this is a PC modding site nice modding the green ones look cool pretty cool design for a mod. :)

18. Mr. Wonko

Mr. Wonko What's a Dremel?

hey, cool mod-idea and start, I love command and conquer :)
    good luck with this one :thumb:

19. milotic858

Glad you like my nails :blush: The green one does look better.

I have played Command and Conquer since it first came out in 1995. Don't know too many girls that acutually play, but my son and I play all the time. It is a good motivation, he always finishes his homework right away. ;)

20. praetor coda

praetor coda What's a Dremel?

WOW, You're a girl?!

I'm sorry it's just rare to me to find a girl (or woman) into gaming, let alone, modding. Well, you do your sex proud by knowing your place in the gaming world...to show that even a woman can show a guy up....lol, it's really refreshing to see that this craft is practicd by many from all walks of life. If there is ever a time that a guy tries to cut you short, not respect you because your ability as a woman, always remember that is how much power you have over them, they feel threatened and to make it worse on them...by a girl who knows exactly what she's doing enough to stir them out of their comfort zone. Nice project build.