1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New system advice needed

Discussion in 'CCL Computers' started by 200SX, 25 Apr 2012.

1. 200SX

200SX What's a Dremel?

Its been a long while (about 5 years!) since I had the urge to upgrade, but the time has come.
    I have to admit that I haven't got a clue where to start anymore so I'm after some advice. My old system is based round a dual core Pentium D 2.8, 4GB memory, GeForce 8600GT, SB Audigy 2 ZS, but it grinds a bit slowly now.

Requirements:
    I use the PC in my living room to watch movies and play music. DVI to HDMI on the TV and Audio to 5.1 surround amp, so the set up needs to be quiet.
    The other main uses are photo editing with CS5, and internet use (100Mb now :) )

At the moment, the multitasking is poor. MP3's and movies freeze momentarily when using CS5 which is a pain.

Only game I play is UT99 so gaming isn't a factor.

I fancy a SSHD, probably 120GB, for my system drive. Other than what I have listed I don't know where to start.

Would be grateful for advice and case/PSU, CPU, MB, Graphics and Audio with an emphasis on Silence!

thanks

2. Dan @ CCL

Dan @ CCL What's a Dremel?

Hi,

I'm sure we can do that for you. Are you wanting to go for a smaller machine since its in your living room or just stick with a standard tower case? Do you have a budget in mind?

3. 200SX

200SX What's a Dremel?

Hi Dan.

I'm a customer of old, and CCL have always looked after me so I know I'll be in the right hands :)

Current case is 40cm tower and that's ideal, so something similar. I don't want to spend mega-bucks, because at the end of the day, it will be primarily an internet PC used for a couple of movies a week, a little music and some PS work (basic photo editing). However, I can be flexible on price.

The current machine has 2 SATA 3.5" drives and DVD RW along with the other stuff and is silent enough, but I expect things have moved on a little from when I bought it!
    I thought that I would stick another 3.5" in for storage along with a SSHD as system HD.

I am totally lost when it comes to CPU / MB choice and would just like a few ideas. I'm running Windows 7 64 Home Premium, and I just need something that can multi-task effortlessly without freezes and hiccoughs :D

cheers

4. Dan @ CCL

Hi,

For silence, I'd probably recommend either the Cooler Master Sileo or Fractal Design R3 cases:

http://www.cclonline.com/product/26046/RC500KKN1GP/Cases/Cooler-Master-Sileo-500-ATX-Case/CAS5303/

http://www.cclonline.com/product/43...ine-R3-ATX-Computer-Case-Black-Pearl/CAS1279/

They're a bit more pricey than a bog standard case, but both are designed to be as quiet as possible so wouldn't be a bad bet for building your system into.

As for the motherboard/processor, I've always been more partial to Intel. While the new IvyBridge chips are just coming out these would probably be more than you're wanting to spend and probably wouldn't be all that necessary for you. Something along the i3 lines should be more than enough:

http://www.cclonline.com/product/44...-i3-2120-3-3GHz-Dual-Core-Processor-/CPU1113/

Even if you don't go for the new chips, an up to date motherboard would give you the choice to do so if you wanted to, such as:

http://www.cclonline.com/product/78...ards/Gigabyte-GA-H77-D3H-Motherboard/MBD0358/

5. mo2580

mo2580 What's a Dremel?

build advise

hi, yes i would recomend installing a ssd drive as they boost the system incredibly, and that would help with your "freezing" and slow responsivness.

because honestly the spec you already got is not so bad fair enough you can get an core i5 2500k and thats a quad core spu and get about 8GB ram minimum as its only about £30

and as you say your not a big gamer and you want a silent system therefore i would say getting a radeon 5450 1gb pci-express graphics card with only the heatsing so its silent.

let me know if you need to know specific model numbers and i should be able to help.

6. 200SX

200SX What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the replies.

I do like the Fractal Design case, - just been reading the reviews, - very impressive.

What PSU would suit?

I am tempted to push the boat out and go with an i5 quad core (3GHz +), but which one? - so many to choose from. I don't upgrade very often nowadays, so I'm trying to put something together that will last me a while.

Would the Integrated Intel HD 2000 Graphics be good enough for my requirements? If not, I may stick with my 8600 GT or go with a passively cooled AMD.

Motherboard looks good. Would want 8Gb Memory, which would you recommend?

SSHD prices seem to be coming down rapidly, any sign of them bottoming out?

cheers :D

7. Dan @ CCL

Hi,

If you're going i5, you might as well go with a new IvyBridge. The 3570K is our most popular since launch, but the 3450 would be a decent and somewhat cheaper choice too.

I'd probably go with a dedicated graphics card for what you're doing. Not only does it give it a bit more power, you can also connect more than one monitor which comes in handy.

Wouldn't need anything major PSU wise. 500W would be enough.

There isn't too much difference with RAM we use 4GB Mushkin sticks in most of our builds at the moment, two of those should do the job just fine.

SSD's get cheaper every week it seems. I assume they will stop at some point, but no sign of it just yet!