1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Half done acrylic Rheobus

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Hazer, 5 May 2003.

1. Hazer

Hazer In time,you too will be relixalated

Not really a rheohbus. I liked the Sunbeam bus with blue/red LED showing intensity, but I plan to make a couple of acrylic cases, so I wanted to DIY acrylic bus :dremel: . I also found out that the Sunbeam does not mix the red/blue, so I made mine so it can :D .

So I did some research:

http://www.cpemma.co.uk/ef.html

I could have gone with low dropout voltage regulators, but decided the best thing to suit my taste was the transistor method. The voltage range is from 6.3V to 11.5 volts. The PNP Tip32 are rated at 3Amps, making each channel 36 Watts. There are 5 fan controllers, and I rigged up red and blue LEDs to fade with the voltage intensity. I did this by placing the red LED between 12V and the output, and the blue LED between output and a 5V regulated source.

So some testing:

[​IMG]

And some planning:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And some wirewrapping:

[​IMG]

Im waiting on some 3/4" rods and compound, and a couple more tools to make a finished front plate and knobs, but for the moment I used :dremel: ghetto style to show the prototype:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The only flaw functionally is that the 5V reg is sinking the current instead of driving it, leaving the blue LEDs on all the time without load. They work just right with a load, but I may either just wire up the 5V from the molex or use a few rectifiers to hold the 5V at the end of the blue LEDs.

Will post finished product when done.

Last edited: 5 May 2003
  2. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Very nice and clean, but I would have replaced the cathode switch with a nice new shiney one

3. Lithium

Lithium super spunk

Nice job but ditto what yoda said. How you cut the acrylic? ...Nice finish you got there.

4. Hazer

I used dremel with cutting bit. Did the whole thing by hand and sanded down the stuff to shape. Up close, it ugly. I will be getting a router gate and drill press in the near future to make much better cuts.
    I just had the wireboard sitting around and couldnt take it, the prototype had to be built.
    I only had patience enough to make one knob from scratch (1/4" acrylic sheet) by cutting 2 disks with a center hole (for pot arm) and one without hole for the top of the knob. Glued it together and sanded the finish to create a frosted look (that will be the finished product design, frosted acrylic knobs that help mix the red and blue light).

Oh, I get it. The suggestion was for the knob. I thought you meant the round rocker at the right end. Yeah, Im going to be using selfmade acrylic knobs that will be frosted so the whole knob will light up and mix the colors of the LEDs for each channel.

5. Wow, very nice. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

6. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Looking good! Are you going to back the plexi with anything like paint or window tinting, or are you going to leave the electronics showing?

7. Hazer

Electrics showing. Why have something clear, then cover it up :naughty: ?

Its not very original, but its mine. Whenever I look at it, Ill be pleased.

Hopefully soon, I will have my 5" graphic LCD up and running. I think Ill encase that in acrylic too.

8. HomogenizeMe

HomogenizeMe What's a Dremel?

I approve of the "raw" look myself, especially if its going in a clear case.

9. KMS-oul

KMS-oul You think you know me.

sweet job my friend, nice n clean looking.