1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Which cooler is best? I have two in my possession

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ceryni, 21 May 2014.

1. ceryni

ceryni Idiot

Hi guys, I won't bore you with the back story but I have 2 coolers, which is best?

I have: AMD Phenom II X4 965 (OC'd to 3.8GHz)
    Case has 2x120mm intake 1 x 120mm exhaust on a fan controller.

The two coolers: LOKI SD963 (currently mounted, maybe 3 years of use, not sure, makes a bit of a whiny noise http://www.xigmatek.com/product.php?productid=105

Arctic freezing 7 pro rev.2:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134
    Brand new yesterday.

Ultimately I have no plans to OC further, I just want it QUIETER, while still maintaining my low temps. (I have wiggle room with temps; steady 66/7C Max at 68C Prime 95 for 15mins, plan on doing a proper test soon) I don't know if all 92mm fans are so damn whingy compared to the nice airy blow of a 120mm artic cooling F12, but It's irritating. Sometimes I whack my fans up to highest setting just to drown it out.

Please help! :D

2. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

The xigmatek would be better if you replaced the stock fan on it with something like a BeQuiet or Noctua. You'd get great temps and almost complete silence.

3. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

I personally find the noise of larger fans less irritating than that of smaller sizes.. But I guess it could be down to personal preference! :hehe: But if you're not OC'ing further.. You should be able to have it on a lower speed setting, making it quieter! (Bigger fan = more air moved = better cooling.. If you dont need the extra cooling, reduce the speed and noise!)

4. ceryni

ceryni Idiot

The fans on both coolers are 92mm so no difference in size between the two

there are 2 fans on the xigmatek in push pull config. changing fans actually sounds good. only £16 to swap to bequiets, you reckon go with this? if so, it saves me a bunch of hassle and I can go mount the arctic cooling to my old mobo to put in my dads case.

5. ceryni

ceryni Idiot

Also, can you use a 4pin splitter for the 92mm fans, connecting them both to the same CPUFAN slot, so I don't have to have the cables snaking to each end of the mobo?

6. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

Ok.. I have no idea how I got to the cooler I was looking at! :duh: I'd give a +1 with changing the fans though! And if the fans are PWM, you should be able to use a 4-pin splitter.. Otherwise get a 3-pin. (they're marginally cheaper to buy!)

7. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Try the Freezer 7 and find out?

8. ceryni

ceryni Idiot

bit of a pain in the arse to take my whole mobo and attach it just to find out.

On top of this, the freezer 7 is supposed to mount onto AM2? But this AM2 motherboard I have will definitely not fit the cooler unless im completely mistaken. Here are some pics:

Old "cooler":
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

New problem:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. makroftar

makroftar What's a Dremel?

LOKI SD963 for me

10. ceryni

ceryni Idiot

11. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

12. ceryni

ceryni Idiot

Thanks mate. If I needed it sooner than post from HK I'd still pay ya ;)

fortunately I'll be building it mid-June.

Cheers.

13. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Ah didn't notice it was from Hong Kong, usually only takes about 7-10 days at long as customs don't mess about with it.

14. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

It's been a long time since I played with any Phenom 2 chips, but wasn't the desired temp range in the order of 55-60 degrees, with thermal cut out around 72 ish degrees?

15. Strudul

Strudul ~

Was just about to say this. I always thought you weren't really supposed to go higher than 60... 62 tops.

(I have a 955)

16. bagman

bagman Minimodder

Are AMD cpu's more sensitive to heat than Intel cpu's then?

17. ceryni

ceryni Idiot

perhaps I should take the OC down a fair bit then? It used to cap 55C at full load, now it's 68. it's behaving fine at the moment but i certainly don't want to damage something I just got. though to be fair I have a feeling it was treated rather badly by it's previous owner.

EDIT:

I just put it from 3.8 to 3.5ghz i think? can't remember might have been 3.4
    and from 1.45V to 1.4V
    Idle temps dropped 6C instantly (just looked for a sec before bed) so I assume it had a similar effect on load temps but I won't find out until weekend and I've finished this essay I've got due Friday.

I'll look at more info and learn about phenom II OC more, I just looked at a rough guide about freq and V. If anyone knows best about this stuff I'd gladly take the info.

Last edited: 22 May 2014
  18. doyll

doyll Minimodder

RV03 has 163mm CPU clearance. There are several much cooler and quieter coolers in the £20-25.00 range.

19. Strudul

Strudul ~

I dunno.

Different CPUs have different thermal limits, it's not just AMD is X and intel is Y.

That being said, I think generally intel CPUs can run hotter (there is probably an explanation on the internet somewhere).

20. doyll

doyll Minimodder

AMD usually have a Tcase of about 60c and thermal throttle at around
    Intel are usually near 70c