1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Any security equipment experts out there?

Discussion in 'General' started by CrapBag, 7 Oct 2013.

1. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

My sister has had acid thrown on her car twice and want's some sort of cctv fitted to the house.

We are going to fit what ever we get ourselves but we aren't really sure what the best option would be.

It's going to be mounted at garage roof height and needs to record to some sort of self contained storage, ie she wont be having a pc running that's connected to it.

Any advice would be great, thanks

2. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Acid?! Jaysus!

I hope nothing worse happens!

3. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

That's so messed up :/ When you say acid, do you mean acid or paint stripper? It's immeasurably screwed up either way, but acid (whatever type) seems pretty specific, whereas any idiot vandal could pick up some paint stripper at a hardware or paint shop.

The Raspberry Pi offers a great way to set up a low cost, self contained security system. The only problem with it is lighting - if this vandalism is happening at night, the RPi cam or webcam that you'd be using wouldn't hold a candle to a dedicated night vision security camera in terms of recording usable footage in low light conditions.

4. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

5. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Thinners/stripper don't usually do serious damage to paint in a random attack - most common substance for that is brake fluid.

6. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Not sure if it was acid, paint stripper or brake fluid but it damaged every panel, melted window rubbers, rear lights and door handles.

7. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Sounds like acid if it's attacked rubber, plastic and paintwork. Nasty!

8. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

There a nice family who live in a nice area so don't understand why they are being attacked.

My nephew is a very promising footballer who's being hunted by scouts so maybe it's jealousy.

9. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Could be a case of mistaken identity. It's how I got my car keyed twice (the remaining four times were apparently just random envy --I've now decided to trade it in for a functional, unexciting looking old banger because I can't be asked with the hassle).

Angry people are blind people. Whole innocent families have gotten killed because some murderous **** got the address wrong and couldn't be arsed to just double-check before, you know, killing someone.

10. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

11. InSanCen

InSanCen Buckling Spring Fetishist

Another vote for Swann. I have one. For the money, miles ahead of the competition.

Look for 600+ TV Lines, D1 or higher DVR. Connection can be with Coax or, via Balun's, CAT5 for longer runs (50M-250ish Metres).

I quite like the Mobile app, but I'm on android. Not so keen on the IOS version.

12. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I can't be asked telling Nexxo to fix the typo in his post :lol:

Sorry dude, had to :hehe:

On-topic, paint stripper will attack pretty much anything you put it on, depending on the base and the type of paint it's "applied" to; Clicky.

I once saw a new (at the time) VW Golf at the filling station where I worked which had been badly vandalized using paint thinner on several panels including the roof, rear hatch and bonnet. It had eaten all the way through to the bare metal and was extremely fresh. The owner told me it had happened the night before and had no idea why anyone would do such a thing. He'd had the car less than a week - it was probably jealousy :(

13. RTT

RTT #parp

Exactly the same thing happened to a friend except no deaths involved. His dad got ill over the stress of it all - sleepless nights, ended up losing his job, all sorts of horrific stuff. Turns out it was mistaken identity; and football violence related. The blokes scumbags went to prison for it when they were caught