1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other 3G in Donegal

Discussion in 'General' started by javaman, 11 Aug 2012.

1. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

hey everyone. I didn't know where to put this so I thought general would be best. I'm wondering which is the best network in the donegal area mainly Raphoe/Convoy/Letterkenny area. with spending most weekends down there I'm looking to pick up a mobile hotspot for my phone and laptop. most prices are around the same for a day/week but which network is the best? I've heard 3 aren't great. has anyone any experience with vodafone, meteor or O2?

2. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I haven't been in Donegal in the past 12 months, but any time I've been there (Rossnowlagh/Ballyshannon mostly) I've had horrible 3G coverage. The fact that it costs me about £3/Mb when I do connect also puts me off quite a lot :rolleyes: If I had to pick one myself, I'd say Vodafone, but I'll ask a friend who visits Donegal quite often what the best network is for 3G coverage up there.

3. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

yeh id stay away from 3, vodafone is usually your best best. i used vodafone 3g for a year and it was okay

*i think vodafone are part of the national broadband scheme so i think you have the best chance with them

i have friend in lkenny ill let you know who hes with when he replies to me

Last edited: 13 Jan 2013
  4. javaman

yea orange offer £3 a day for 30mb. what's the point when for €3 I can get 300mb? my phone tends to wander to meteor and occasionally O2 I just donno if its 2g or 3g lol.
    cheers for the responses. rep when I get back onto a proper computer. :thumb:

5. javaman

quick update. after looking into it morr I'm going to go with vodafone. instead of a mifi I was gonna pick up the vodafone smart £40 at the moment anf tether to it. it'll allow data monitoring which a mifi doesn't.

6. Canon

Canon Reformed

Wait, they have electricity in Donegal now? :lol:

7. javaman

Haha and running water too! they really milked Europe nicely :thumb: my uncle paddy only got running water 4 years ago!

8. Canon

Canon Reformed

Good to hear things are moving on, just remember, adjust and adapt!

I should talk, last time I passed through I came home and realised how much I hate Belfast!

9. javaman

Decided to definitely go Vodafone after talking to a few other people. The question is, can you put a data only sim in a smart phone and use it to tether. Several advantages doing it this way

1. Cheaper than a mifi
    2. Data usage motionering apps
    3. Possibly easier to unlock if needed

10. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

11. javaman

Yea thats why I thought the smart since its £40 atm vs £70-£80 for a mifi. Do the mifi's monitor too? Anyone I asked and from the mighty google seemed to suggest it doesnt show data usage

EDIT: Apparently it does, ill just go down that route then. Thanks everyone for the help

Last edited: 23 Aug 2012