1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I rear-ended a car while riding a bike, am I at fault?

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Valo, 17 Aug 2016.

1. Valo

Valo Minimodder

A couple of weeks ago I had a bicycle accident. A car pulled in front of me and I was unable to stop in time and I ended up braking into their tailgate. I don't think I was at fault, as far as I have noticed the car had no indicators on and pulled up sort of... 'randomly'. I don't exactly remember what happened, other than I was riding along then I saw a stopped car and tried to brake in time, but failed to do so. The doctors have said I suffered slight memory loss from before the event.

Now I don't know how to proceed. The driver has just called me and asked me to pay the repairs or he's going to pursue it through his insurance which might expose me to unnecessary legal costs. What usually is the ruling on incidents like these?

Last edited: 17 Aug 2016
  2. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Your on a bike. Good luck trying to get money or of you. Ask the local authorities if there's any cctv in the area of the incident to prove that the drivers a weapon and smile when they get a driving conviction for dangerous driving and a potential conviction for conspiracy to commit fraud.

3. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Well, you've got medical evidence of possible effects to you. You are standing so strong legally it's not even funny.

4. Valo

Valo Minimodder

The driver claims that he was stopped there (double yellow) for 10 seconds and that I hit him while stationary. I'll look out for CCTV, but I don't think there's anything. According to road code, I am at fault for not maintaining appropriate distance from the car following him. I do think however that he has not paid enough attention to the mirrors and hasn't checked if he was clear to stop (he was stopping because there was a car from a side road coming in front of him). I can't really afford it if he decides to pursue any legal action or (his insurance company does). How does it normally pan out when insurance companies deal with claims against cyclists?

5. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Kind of what I expected, the person that rear ends someone else is usually to blame. Regardless of how reckless the other person is being.

6. sparkyboy22

sparkyboy22 Web Tinkerer

If you were following the car and they then stopped however suddenly or without signalling and you then crashed into the car then your at fault.

Guessing you don't have any insurance you can use?

7. Valo

Valo Minimodder

I have a car insurance policy, but I don't think it applies here. I guess I should try to settle with him then?

My problem is, the car appeared pretty much out of nowhere, when I saw it in front of me it was already stopped and I tried to brake, locked up and ended up in its back.

8. Kernel

Kernel Likes cheese

What damage have you caused? It can't really be that much was it?
    I would guess you would be at fault unless you can get any evidence to the contrary.

9. GaryP

GaryP RIP Tel

Claim he reversed into you whilst he was twatting about with his phone ;)

Oh and by the way, a day before your crash you said you'd give me £20 :eyebrow:

10. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

So why exactly was he pulled over on double yellows to begin with?

11. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

and this is why I have front and rear dash cam - got hit by another car who swore black and blue he was right , took a lot to prove he was wrong (and google earth was out of date which he relied on)

12. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

To let a little old lady cross the road or so as to avoid running over a dog / cat / flock of duckling's, double yellows mean no parking / waiting, not no stopping.

13. srgtherasta

srgtherasta Minimodder

Not trying to sound like a **** but where where you looking that you couldn't see a car stopping in front of you? Where the brake lights on? if not then the car was already stopped and if they where on then you weren't paying due care and attention, a fineable offence on it's own. The only hope you have is if the brake lights on the car where faulty and not working at all. Everybody on the road has to play by the highway code, just cause your on a push bike doesn't excuse you from rear ending another vehicle.

14. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Is that legal? Are you saying you are riding without insurance?

Rear ending someone usually puts you at fault unless you can provide evidence that the other driver pulled out too close to you and without warning. Otherwise there really is no excuse. Sorry, I can't provide any helpful answers.

This is why I drive with a front dash-cam. It's good to know there is a solid evidence I could refer to if needed. People generally have horrible memory when events like these happen, no matter who is at fault.

15. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

On a push bike, yes.
    He may be covered under his house contents cover insurance, otherwise the car driver would have to try and get a claim through the small claims court

16. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

You should have just given him false details after the incident. No number plates on a bicycle ;)

17. Valo

Valo Minimodder

This is pretty much what happened, except I was going waaay slower than this guy haha,

I don't have mirrors on my cycle and I have to turn around to see behind me when I am changing lanes etc. I am speculating here, since I don't remember too clearly, but my guess is I saw that he was going really slowly and I wanted to check the right lane to see if I can safely overtake him, but there was a taxi coming out of the side road (this i remember), so by the time I was looking ahead he was already stopped. Now I doubt he had indicators, my guess is he was pulling over to wait for his girlfriend (who showed up a couple of minutes later) but I have no way to prove it.

Either way, pursuing it seems like a massive hassle and I managed to get an agreement with him so I guess best to just settle this without getting anyone involved

18. veato

veato I should be working

Or.. be a decent human being and pay for damage you've caused to someone else's property (if at fault)?

19. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

T'was but a light hearted joke, my serious friend :lol:

I suspect in this instance it was OP's fault, given that 99% of rear-enders are the fault of the following vehicle.

20. walle

walle Minimodder

I bet he was chasing a pokemon.