1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Board Games

Discussion in 'General' started by Margo Baggins, 10 Apr 2017.

1. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

Any board gamers?

What have you got?

What do you want?

I'll start.

I play tooo many board games.

On my shelf I have (from memory)

- Caverna
    - Sheriff of Nottingham
    - Archipelago
    - Siege: The Exiled
    - Dead of Winter (and the standalone expansion)
    - 7 Wonders (and leaders expansion)
    - Eldritch Horror
    - Shadows over camelot (and merlins company expansion)
    - A Game of Thrones (the one like risk, not the battles of westeros one)
    - Simurgh
    - Alhambra big box
    - Splendor
    - Waggle dance
    - Highland clans
    - Pandemic
    - Jamaica
    - Keyflower
    - Super dungeon explore 1 and 2 and upgrade deck and a bunch of mobs

small games:

- Saboteurs Gold edition
    - Coup
    - Love letters
    - Jaipur
    - Citadels

I like euro's the most, worker placement type games. i don't really like american games and thematic games that much, dead of winter is alright but I mostly play it becuase my gamer friends like to play it. I like games that involve as much strategy as possible and as little luck :D And I like bluffing games.

In my gaming "club" there is another guy who has a bunch of games so I try not to buy what he has, and he has a load of right good games, like Scythe, and Above and below.

wishlist:

- Mombasa
    - Nations

2. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

I love a good board game, but a) don't have the time, and b) hate playing with only two people (i.e. me and the wife)

Got:
    The classics - Monopoly (classic & star wars), Scrabble, Risk (original, obv; and star wars clone wars version)
    Dominion (if you include card games)
    Settlers of Catan
    Heroquest
    Space Hulk

Want:
    Small World
    Discworld
    Carcassonne
    Dominion expansions/additions
    Anything that's interesting, with low barrier to entry but enough complexity to give it longevity.

Would love to find a club/group of people to play with in my neck of the woods :(

3. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

I rely on a friend for board games, as he's well into it and we both meet up once a month or so with 2 other families, for a board games/beer/nibbles/chat evening.

Ticket to Ride and Seven Wonders are favourites, along with Codenames which I do own.
    We also play a fair few card based games, with Sushi Go an absolute fave of mine.

4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

I used to play with a group of friends from work, most of whom joined the company on the same graduate scheme as me. I used to house-share with 2 other grads and that house was (still is) called boardgame central. But as time went on, people move away (myself included) and start families. So now I don't play as much, a few times a year.

I have Ticket to Ride Europe edition and Asian/China expansion, Sushi Go, and Forbidden Desert.

In games I don't own, I'm a huge fan of Battlestar Galactica, Game of Thrones, Settler's of Catan and Power Grid. Basically I like strategy, planning, bluffing and back stabbing. Also quite enjoy Betrayal at House on the Hill, Coup and Fury of Dracula.

5. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

UK residents may wish to be aware of "Stabcon South", a convention held twice a year, specifically for board gamers.

There is also the original "Stabcon", held in Stockport, but I think that only has a FB page.

6. Edwards

Edwards Minimodder

Got a bit of a collection started now:

Hero Quest
    Defenders of the Realm
    Betrayal at the house on the hill
    Zombicide
    Firefly
    D&D: Castle Ravenloft

Defenders of the realm is the game we play most often, though it is pretty tough. I'd say we lose 4/5 times we play!

I've got a bunch of games on my amazon wishlist, plus i picked up a 'print your own' game Dungeon Crawl I have yet to print off.

7. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Don't have as many as others, but still feel thoroughly in the too many category.

Currently have:

Various monopolies (do these count as games?)
    Scrabble collectors edition (has a fancy wooden box and board plus wooden pieces)
    Scrabble trickster
    Settlers of Catan + 6 player expansion
    Catan Seafarers + 6 player Expansion
    Star Trek Catan
    Smallworld
    Smallworld Realms
    Smash Up
    Zombie Dice
    The Resistance
    Lords of Waterdeep + Scoundrels of Skullport expansion
    Imperial Governor (original old one from when it was in shops)
    Munchkin + lots of expansion packs
    Tsuro
    Pentago
    Pentago 4 Player Edition
    Rummikub
    Ticket to Ride
    Ticket to Ride Africa/Switzerland/India
    Articulate
    221B Baker Street
    Game of Thrones (fantastic game but has 30 pages of rules)
    Castle Panic
    Princess Bride (water boarding is more tolerable)
    Various D&D editions

Currently want:

Nothing. Many of these were a waste so I'm not as keen any longer. I basically rotate between Catan, Smallworld, Scrabble, OG Ticket to Ride and Lords of Waterdeep. We occasionally break out Castle Panic but it gets stale fast, the Resistance is fun but needs large groups. Munchkin is tosh, simply not a well made game. The expansions for TtR and Catan aren't as good as the normal one (bar the 6-player, which is fine) so we don't touch them.

I must admit, I don't find the process of picking up new games as fun any longer as so many are simply not well thought through.

8. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Own
    • Quelf
    • Power Grid
    • Settlers of Catan and expansions: Seafarers, Cities and Knight and Trader and Barbarians, with the 6 player expansion for each
    • Starfarers of Catan
    • Munchkin and the first 6 expansion packs
    • Carcassonne wiht some expansion I do not remember which
    • Connect 4
    • Snakes and ladders
    • Bang (card game, but plays like a board game)
    • Guillotine (also a card game)

Want
    • Robot Rally (no longer in production)

9. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Own (from memory):

- Ticket to ride Europe
    - Ticket to ride expansions
    - Bezzerwizzer
    - Trivial Pursuit (some older edition)
    - Trivial Pursuit (2009 edition)
    - Geni
    - Pictionary
    - Scotland Yard
    - Settlers of Catan
    - Labyrint
    - Monopoly
    - Scrabble
    - 6 Billion
    - Monopoly Junior
    - Activity
    - Brainstorm
    - iKnow
    - Sequence
    - Ubongo
    - Cranium
    - Runebound
    - Magic the Gathering: Planeswalkers
    - Monopoly empire
    - Monopoly
    - Word fight
    - Mahjongg
    - Some old trivial pursuit sort of game about philosophy (can't remember the title)
    - Some kind of sci-fi detective game (can't remember the title)
    - I'm sure there are couple of others I haven't thought about

10. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I've wanted zombicide for a long time, but it's such a massively expensive game, and I don't think I would actually enjoy it that much. but it's been on my amazon wishlist for a long old time.

I've not played defenders of the realm, we used to play shadows over camelot a lot, but in a similar way - we lost all the damn time! We won occasionally, but most of the time we would get smashed in by the game.

thats a healthy list!

try looking at some older titles :) I know what you mean though, I've kickstarted a few games, and the most recent one, well in theory its quite good, but actually playing it is tough, but maybe i've not learned the rules correctly or something.

11. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

Only have a few at the moment:

Dominion (base version)
    Temp Worker Assasins (not a board game is similar to domninio in its card nature)
    Danger Game
    Space Hulk (newer Version)
    Munchkin

Want:
    Catan
    Ticket to Ride
    Lanterns

Theres lots more i want but at the moment just the 3 above for now.

12. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

I've got a bit of an obsession with backing boardgames on Kick Starter so have quite a huge selection just from there.

I won't list my entire collection because I honestly have no idea what's under my bed and in my cupboards, then there's whatever is currently on loan to my gaming club (I'm going to use my tabletop games club as an excuse for why have have so much gaming materials)... I used to regularly update my collection on Boardgame Geek but gave up after a while because their system is a bit clunky.

Here's what I can visibly see on the shelves behind me in my office:

Betrayal at House on the Hill
    Zeppelin Attack!
    Masquerade
    Hoyuk
    Guards! Guards! A Discworld Boardgame
    Tokaido
    Packet Row
    Antidote
    One Night Ultimate Werewolf + Expansions
    New York + Expansions
    Pandemic + Expansions
    Village
    Raid & Trade
    Caverna
    Settlers of Catan + Expansions + Star Trek Catan + Plus Custom Board
    Walk the Plank
    Forbidden Desert
    Forbidden Island
    Eight Minute Empire
    Fluxx (various themes: Cthulhu, Pirate, Star, etc)
    Termination Incorporated
    Alhambra Big Box Collection
    Elder Sign + Expansions
    Star Wars X-Wing
    Exploding Kittens
    The Resistance
    Castle Panic
    Coup
    Ticket to Ride Europe
    Citadels
    Gone Viking
    Every Round Counts
    Splendor
    Takenoko
    Small World
    Monopoly 80th Anniversary Edition
    Love Letter
    Sheriff of Nottingham
    Mutiny
    Gnomes of Zavandor
    Super Dungeon Explore: Forgotten King
    Diplomacy
    Arkham Horror
    Gear and Piston
    Talisman
    Bang! The Dice Game
    No Thanks
    Guillotine

I think between my boardgames and the ridiculous number of roleplay books, I've got a good portion of a 2m x 3m bookshelf filled.
    At some point I need to have a massive cut back and clear some space... though I know for certain that it'll only take me a couple of weeks to crumble and find something to fill the gaps.

13. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Not having anyone to play them with, I never saw the appeal...

14. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

A man of taste I see ;)

My friend and I played the s**t out of that game. We played it so much we ran out of cases to do. So I found the phone number of the company who made it to buy more cards (they used to sell them in packs). Turns out it was in Colliers Wood, just down the road from me (Mitcham) so we walked there haha.

Fantastic game.

haha classic quotes when playing..

The game is a foot. Wait, I thought it was a hand?
    I'm going to the whore's bed (Boar's Head).

15. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Many years ago I had a mate who liked D&D type board games and I used to join in quite often. I remember playing Heroquest, and Advanced Heroquest (I think, the one with separate corridor & room pieces). There were a couple of Space Marines games too iirc, and one (possibly Space Marines) where you played the pieces on the bare floor instead of a board, measuring movement distances with a ruler and attacking only if the target was within line of sight. Great fun.

16. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I used to go to school with this Iraqi kid who played D&D. I always made fun of him (about the game obs) and then one day he invited me to his house to play it. Was bloody great.

Eeee, them were the days where you had to use your imagination !

Last edited: 12 Apr 2017
  17. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Heh, I've been Googling around, trying to find exactly which games we played. What a trip down memory lane that was!

One of the Space Marines games was definitely Space Crusade. Played on a square board with simple rules, it was the Warhammer equivalent of Heroquest.

18. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Here's a thread I can get behind... Let's see what I can remember (without looking, since I'm supposed to be working from home right now). A lot of these are card games, but I'm counting them! :)

• Eclipse (+Expansions, except Ship Pack One)
    • Pandemic
    • Carcassonne (+The River)
    • Ticket To Ride Europe (+UK Expansion)
    • Forbidden Island
    • Twilight Struggle
    • Android Netrunner
    • Star Fluxx
    • Firefly Fluxx
    • Masquerade
    • Munchkin
    • Hanabi
    • Port Royale
    • Astronauts
    • Zombie Dice

The list of stuff I want is longer than I can remember, but off the top of my head...

• Lords of Waterdeep
    • A Study in Emerald
    • Elder Signs
    • Settlers of Catan
    • Zombicide
    • Dead of Winter
    • Tammany Hall
    • Pandemic Legacy
    • XCom
    • StarCraft
    • Firefly
    • The Resistance
    • Coup
    • Discworld

My brother and I often use TableTop Simulator to play Eclipse (usually on a Friday or Saturday evening), so if anyone wants to join in or spectate then let me know - I frikkin' love Eclipse so the more the merrier. We usually use Skype for comms (we used to use Google Hangouts, but it turns out that Hangouts totally sucks).

Along the same lines, Rules of Play in Cardiff is hosting an International TableTop Day event on the 29th April. It's being held at The Angel Hotel on Westgate Street, which is easy walking distance from Cardiff Central train station, and tickets are a fiver.

EDIT:

Oh hell yes. This game gets a lot of love, and it can be quite funny, but it feels like I'm playing a maths test. They seem to take every opportunity to squeeze more money out of you: there are endless expansions and if you only buy the basic version, like I did, you don't even get a damn score board.

19. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

I really like the game, although the base rules don't work so well I found. We ended up removing the dice roll as all it did was add unnecessary randomness that would upset people (you know those uncanny games where one person only rolls 1s and 2s). It actually works really well if you set it to a base movement of 4 spaces.

Don't get to play it all that much though as it's a little tricky for some. My girlfriend is from Taiwan so English isn't her first language, which makes the game simply unfair as some of the clues like you mentioned are puns or spoonerisms etc. My sister has very strong dyslexia which means all the spelling type clues don't work out for her either. You can play in teams to get around this, but I feel they feel a bit left out.

Biggest problem we encountered was ending the game, it's almost impossible unless you form a truce with somebody who wants to go home or do something else. What we observed is that we never play against each other until we reach level 9, until then it's better to save up your power cards. Then you just use them over and over. Makes it near impossible to win because nobody will team up with you, but everybody will go against you.

I don't see how that can change without massively altering the rules TBH.

20. bsp

bsp Minimodder

Have: Carcassonne (traders and builders, inns and cathedrals), TTR: Europe.

Since having my daughter I haven't played either. Before having her, I thought they were great games and really made my life a bit more social with family.

Personally I found carcassone a bit more enjoyable by ignoring the meeple placing rule (so we'd have battles over cities in effect).

want: to play more and maybe gets some games in.
    By the time the little one (or ones.. hopefully) grow up a little, I would like to start playing board games with them.