1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News SETI not @ Home

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 23 Nov 2005.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. Reaper_Unreal

Reaper_Unreal Minimodder

Noooooooooo! How will I ever compare the speed of my processor with my friends now?

Seriously though, this is the first distributed computing program I ever used. I've been using Folding@home for a while now, and even that one to crack the xbox code. But the point is that it's the originator, it's the one that really started it all. Oh well, at least I can keep using my electric sheep for a while.

3. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

4. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

Damnit all to hell, I'll never find my real family now.

5. FredsFriend

FredsFriend What's a Dremel?

So it is still alive looking at the info. It's just that you can share a percentage of your resources with other projects as well, say 60% SETI 40% something else. Or have i got that completely wrong?

6. quack

quack Minimodder

SETI@Home is far from dead. It's just going to stop being a separate entity and will be a major part of the whole BOINC system. If you are currently using the Classic client you will have to replace it with the BOINC software.

What a misleading article, sorry.

7. Tim S

Tim S OG

:hehe: :hehe:

8. DLoney

DLoney What's a Dremel?

So, it will not be taken down?
    :duh:

9. quack

quack Minimodder

In its classic form, yes. But it's definitely not dead.

If you currently use the classic client you will have to download the BOINC client and upgrade your S@H account to a BOINC one. Then you can continue to crunch SETI units or you can donate some CPU cycles to one of the other BOINC projects.

10. kpearson

kpearson What's a Dremel?

Rumors of SETI@home's death are greatly exaggerated

I agree, SETI@home is definitely not dead, and the Inquirer article is very misleading. SETI@home is merely moving from its proprietary distributed computing platform (which will no longer be supported after December 15), to the new BOINC distributed computing platform. fightAIDS@home made a similar move last week. The BOINC version of SETI@home has been running since June 22, 2004, and is performing the same science that the classic version did. SETI@home participants are required to switch to the BOINC platform after December 15 if they wish to continue participating in the project, but they are not required to participate in any of the other projects supported by BOINC.

Kirk
    editor, distributedcomputing.info

11. woodshop

woodshop UnSeenly

Correct!
    I Switched to the Boinc stuff long ago.
    Allready got 68 Thousand+ Credits (Sry no wu's)

And change that ARTICLE!!!! the screensaver STILL LIVES!!!

12. Alan

Alan What's a Dremel?

I got an e-mail from Seti saying exactly the things said here. It isn't gone, just moved over to BOINC. Really inaccurate reporting. :sigh:

13. zoom314

zoom314 Minimodder

Only SetiClassic is shutting down, SetiBoinc is crunching on and still searching for ET, SetiBoinc crunches numbers faster than SetiClassic does anyway, So even though It has been nice, It's more of a software upgrade to Me. :thumb: :thumb:

14. quack

quack Minimodder

15. Nottheking

Nottheking What's a Dremel?

The Inquirer strikes again, as usual, it seems. It would've been a tremendous shame to see such a bleak ending come to what is definitely the world's first great distributed-computing project. I mean, we have plenty of others out there that, by some standards, are more deserving, (like Stanford's Folding@Home) but all of them are worthy causes, and people do definitely deserve the freedom to spend their computing power, a resource that is clearly becoming more and more valuable and closer to currency every day in our information age.

Tags: Add Tags