1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMDs next generation 6xxx cards. Any good for folding?

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by bricks1997, 11 Oct 2010.

1. bricks1997

bricks1997 512 bit mental interface

Now that AMD has acquired the PhysX man will there 6 series be better at folding?
    Post your opinion!:worried:

(this is correct at time of posting)

Last edited: 11 Oct 2010
  2. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

It's nothing to do with PhysX, I thought. It's all about the computing engine in the GPU.

3. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

From my conversations with ATI, Stanford and Nvidia over the years I think its more to do with compilers and languages than the hardware.

If that is the case I suspect the HD 6000-series will still (unfortunately) be pretty hopeless at folding.

4. zodac

zodac What's a Dremel?

The new series will make no difference; they will be as inferior to nVidia GPUs as 3/4/5 series.

However, Stanford have said that their OpenMM client is in beta testing with client v7, and once that comes out, ATi and nVidia should be on more even footing.

5. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

It still amazes me that AMD/ATi haven't done something about this up until now and apparently still aren't trying to improve the folding/distributed computing app performance of their GPUs. I say this because I am absolutely certain that Nvidia sales have benefitted greatly from the release of the GPU, GPU2 and now GPU v3 clients from Stanford. Before I started folding, I personally owned only a few modern Nvidia cards. Now I own a whole farm of them, over 15 from the last 3 generations that all get a lot of heavy use. And what about my ATi GPUs? I could count them on one hand.

6. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

I pray for the day that ATi sort out their folding situation. It didnt matter when enthusiasts weren't buying their cards, but now they are in the driving seat its incredibly frustrating.

7. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

Exactly my thoughts and same with GPU's owned over last 6 years! :thumb:

8. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

ATI get more of the gaming GPU buisness nowdays I think.
    Eyefinity looks pretty darn impressive.