1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress [Project] Interior Des(k)ign - SR-2 - the Biggest Update EVER! 90% complete! 20/09/12

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by wejjy, 23 Nov 2011.

?

Which do you prefer?

Poll closed 20 Mar 2012.
  1. Custom coloured/made cables

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. Sleeved cables with heatshrink

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Paracord cables without heatshrink

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  1. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

Project: Interior Des(k)ign

Sponsorship Update 28/11/2011:

A huge huge thank you must go out to EK, in particular Gregor, I am pleased to say that EK have offered to sponsor my project!

[​IMG]

So Ive been planning and workin on this project for some time now, I had to save up a bit to get the big parts but finally got my dream specced Pc to build. Yes, it is older tech but ive wanted this since it was released, and finally ive got my hands on it.

I have been working on this for a couple of weeks now, I waited as I work slowly, free time is not very forthcoming so I waited until I had a bit to put up here first.

I already made the desk for my previous stop gap PC but with the intention of starting this build eventually, heres the desk before my build....

[​IMG]

During the build

[​IMG]

Completed in its first incarnation

The plan though was to turn it into something far better. I wanted to incorporate a beast inside the desk, so did a very quick sketchup of the desk and how it could look

[​IMG]

So thats the plan....

Heres the progress so far.

I am using a mixture of metals for this build, mostly steel 1.2mm, but also a little aluminium throughout, none of it will be left bare, the finish has already been decided upon inside and out.

I will let the photos do the rest of the explaining

This is a video but I couldnt get it to link herre so you will have to click to view it sorry!

http://i961.photobucket.com/albums/ae100/paulnvickyg/Desk Case/c071b666.mp4

Can you guess what it is yet?

Its a plasma cutter, my favourite tool!!

[​IMG]

Thats what it does

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Coming together to form the hdd hot swap bay front

Onto the righht hand side...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What for? You'll see...

[​IMG]

Onto the center panel now, which will house two 120mm fans and an Aquero controller and various other bits like a hidden USB panel and the Switches

[​IMG]

For the Aquacomputer grills, again cut with the plasma cutter

[​IMG]

Looking ok so far

[​IMG]

Welded the 3 pieces together to see how we are going so far...ok

I didnt take any in progress pictures of the Drive holder being made...sorry, but it fits!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I added 2mm adhesive backed neoprene to the fronts of the drives and checked for fitment, they need a little tweaking to line up perfectly bu this was a trial run so theres plenty of time to perfect it. Plus I need to make covers from steel for the drive trays and buttons yet.

[​IMG]

On the other side I fitted the hot swap HDD trays to check how they looked, they fit perfectly, it was stolen from a donor 800D and is a great design!

Next was a trial fit of the beast, guess what it is...

[​IMG]

Any guesses?

Last edited: 21 Sep 2012
    Bladesingerz likes this.
  2. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

Too slow guessing....

This is what it is! My uber fave!!!

[​IMG]

An EVGA SR-2... Ive got the full water block for it, 24gb Corsair Ram, and two hex core Xeons to go into it. Its going to be a dual loop monster, with everything watercooled that I possibly can! Its all planned out so I cant wait to get it done!

I spent a little time laying things out to see how various designs would look, heres where I got to...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thats all for now, but Im back up there at the end of the week and im planning to get the other side all laid out, its a slow process but It'll be worthh it in the end!

This is where I plan to put the rads, if you reference to the first pictures of the desk you can see where this panel fits.

[​IMG]

The rads positioning isnt definite yet though, if I can squeeze them in the desk itself somehow with enough airflow through them I will, I may swap the rads for slimmer ones if I have enough money at the end. I currently have 2 aquacomputer 140x3 rads with fans in push/pull but we'll see as I prefer to keep everything EK if I can...

Until next time!

YEHBABY likes this.
  3. Noob?

Noob? What's a Dremel?

4. peteski

peteski long live the pc

man this looks :jawdrop::jawdrop: .you have had a good start mate things are looking good . need a close up of that mobo that thing looks :jawdrop::jawdrop: . keep up the good work mate.

subscribed :rock::rock::rock:

5. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

:D

Thanks mate, i'll get some photos of the SR-2 up asap, i'm planning to fit the EK block tomorrow so I'll take some then!

6. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

As requested, I took some pictures today of the Motherboard and some other bits I have lined up for this build. I dont want to give too much away of the final specs but heres a few teasers...

[​IMG]

Cant emphasise how big this thing is, it puts my current REII to shame, it dwarfs it totally!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

x2 :naughty:

[​IMG]

I'm fitting the waterblocks soon, I was going to do it today but I need some thermal pads first so need to order those asap...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also received a lovely delivery from Nils haha!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Plus some other hardware ive saved up for

[​IMG]

Im back at my workshop on Saturday hopefully, so I'll have more then on the case itself

7. shaunster1011

shaunster1011 What's a Dremel?

Some cracking hardware going into this build, I may have missed it but what CPU's will you be using?

8. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

Ive got a pair of Westmere L5640's ready for overclocking the nuts off, should be good for 24 threads running at 3.6-3.8 Ghz :D :D :D

9. peteski

peteski long live the pc

[​IMG]

OMFG that is one huge mobo you got there mate thanks for the close up. cant wait for more updates :rock: :rock: :rock:

10. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

Why thank you kind sir! Will update saturday, when theres more to see on the case, bye for now!

11. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

Well as a direct result of reading fellow modders build logs, the desire to be original kicked in tonight and I sat down with pencil and ipad and started thinking, very dangerous yes! Ive come up with a slightly altered design. The hardware remains unchanged, its just the layout and a few cooling ideas, most of which im not giving away with this drawing. So this will be my plan on saturday when I crack out the plasma cutter and the welder!!

Heres beta 1.07 :hehe:

[​IMG]

What do you think?

Heres a question for you... With the new craze of putting crystal links or copper piping in the loop rather than standard tubing, can I still use standard fittings, is it just an extra o-ring thats required??

12. l3p

l3p www.^.nl

I love the idea wejjy !!
    Following and +rep (again ;) )

13. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

Wow, thank you, I am really honored to have the original desk modder say so!! Thankyou!!!!!!!!:D

Tattysnuc likes this.
  14. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

Just another person browsing....

Great stuff. Am looking forward to see how this develops!

15. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

16. mat0tam

mat0tam Mr I Dont Know What I Want

SUBB'd so fast :)

17. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

Thanks, I hope it will develp according to my aspirations!

Thanks! ;)

Ta dude! ;)

18. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

Just a brief update as I only spent a couple of hours on the case itself today. I also spent some time planning the cooling for the inside of the case which I cant really take photos of yet, its getting pretty complicated to be honest, especially the electronics!

As for what I got done today, I wanted to carry on making the rear of the case, so I started off by plasma cutting a 170mm x 720mm piece of steel and the folding the ends according to the plans, I bought a metal folder a while back, which I use to start the bend, but I always finish it off with a body hammer and dollies! Old skool!!

[​IMG]

The result after hammer and dolly work...

[​IMG]

I then mocked up where the internally fitted rads would go, by simply placing the fans on the steel, looking like it will all fit in nicely...

[​IMG]

My next job was to take the whole front off the case and modify it to fit the two EK reservoirs which I now want on show, but before I started I dropped the lid on to mark a few thing out on the wood internally for the cooling...

[​IMG]

Then I stripped it down and started undoing all of my hard work. I will weld the bottom of the now redundant fan holes up, and then start making the rear part to mount the EK res's into the front panel...

Before...

[​IMG]

After...

[​IMG]

I may or may not be at my workshop tomorrow for a little while, if so I will update again tomorrow night, if anyone can help me out with the dilemna on the crystal links or solid tubing I would really really appreciate it too! Bye for now folks and thanks for all your kind words so far, it really helps!

Last edited: 26 Nov 2011
  19. peteski

peteski long live the pc

looking good mate keep up the good work :rock: :rock: :rock:

20. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

[Off Topic] just spotted that you're from D'wich, where I spent my "formative" years. Small world! Don't suppose they've caught up with the rest of the technology world and got cable yet? Dad says not... :( [/Off Topic]

As for the build, it does look like it's coming along nicely. That plasma cutter must have set you back a bit - it looks AWESOME. Hot knife and butter comes to mid.

Just one question about the ergonomics - I'm not quite sure where the keyboard and mouse are going to sit - is it on the top surface of this, or are you building a wall mounted work surface/monitor stand with the keyboard and mouse using an unpictured additional surface ? The reason I ask is that this looks a bit tall to sit at with your legs underneath to have the keyboard and mouse on top of... Have you got any mock ups of the final proposed design?

REALLY looking forward to see how this comes on. Wish I had access to the construction facilities you've been using - it's builds like this that get my creative juices flowing...