1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News D-Link routers contain back-door code, claims researcher

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 14 Oct 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

If you reverse the string it says "edit by [...]" rather than "edited by [...]"

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Hah! I'd written 'edit' the first time around, then when I was giving the article a final scan-through before publication I automatically corrected the grammar without a second thought. Fixed, ta!

4. Gareth Halfacree

I've updated the article with a brief comment from D-Link announcing that it will be patching the back-door by the end of the month, which fails to actually address any of the questions raised. I've pressed for clarification.

5. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

I'd guess that any modern device, be it a computer, a router or whaterver has a backdoor implemented these days.

6. Gareth Halfacree

Trufax, but there are clever backdoors - "let's stick a cryptographic public key in there, and if our private key knocks open up a hole" - and dumb backdoors - "hey, let's open a hole when someone uses a plaintext string that appears in our easily-analysed and publicly-available firmware files as their user agent. THAT WON'T GO WRONG AT ALL."

(Although, in D-Link's defence, it took a fair few years for anyone to publicise the vulnerability - which isn't to say it hasn't been discovered and exploited by ne'er-do-wells clever enough to keep their new toy quiet in the past, of course.)

7. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Blimey, that's a pretty embarrassing gaffe for such a major player in the router market these days. Could be very useful for people trying to open up their ISP's routers though.

8. Alecto

Alecto Minimodder

Well there's always the (free) alternative that works with a number of routers (and to be honest, those that are tied down by the manufacturers should be avoided anyway):

http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/build

You can build your own version after auditing the code.

9. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

Funnily enough, I've just taken delivery of a D-Link NAS. It's getting sent back now. Also, power cable was faulty but still, I'm now asking for a full refund instead of a replacement.

10. Gareth Halfacree

D-Link has responded to my questions with a defence of the back-door code. There are still some outstanding issues to be addressed, however, including its apparent presence in DIR-615 routers - which aren't on the list of devices getting a firmware update it provided this morning.