1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Leaked slide teases Intel Skylake features

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 5 Jul 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Rumor has it Skylake will come with SATA Express to :)

3. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

As much as the architecture changes will be on Skylake (is it just me that wants to call it Skyfall?) I think it will take a year or so for DDR4 to mature and for GPUs to make use of the extra bandwidth so I think the real benefits won't actually hit the end user until Skylake's successor or later.

4. Leesy1

Leesy1 What's a Dremel?

Hey guys. I thought Broadwell had been cancelled?. Last month there were reports Intel were having problems with the shrink to 14nm?, hence the delay on the shrink process.. Therefore they decided only to refresh Haswell next year (unless they are now calling this refresh Broadwell). Many tech sites mentioned this. There's also discussions on this on places such as Anandtech. Therefore Skylake was going to be the first 14nm Cpu from Intel.

http://www.dailytech.com/Report+Int...les+Haswell+Refresh+for+2014/article31770.htm

Can anyone clear this up?

Lee

5. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I think the only people who can clear up, what are after all nothing but rumors would be Intel and as they never comment on rumors we will just have to wait and see.

6. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

I need to find a way to max out my PCIe 3 so I can justify 4.

Oh wait... I don't have a PCIe 3 cpu. Oh well.

7. Blackshark

Blackshark What's a Dremel?

allowing manufacturers to install Xeon Phi co-processors in high-performance computing systems alongside, rather than in the place of, graphics processing unit (GPU) based accelerator boards

Excellent news

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Yeah, nobody else seems to have picked up on that bit. If the slide is accurate, it's a game-changer for Intel - and it's hard to see it as anything other than a response to the threat that ARM poses. You look at the world's top supercomputers: in the vast majority, the Intel or AMD CPUs are only there to feed the GPUs with data - they account for 10 per cent or less of the overall compute power. As a result, manufacturers - including Nvidia - are looking at replacing the power-hungry x86 serial processors with nice low-power ARM chips.

Obviously, Intel can't allow that - but nobody's going to take them seriously if they suggest supercomputers based on Atom, and they can't be seen recommending GPU-based accelerator boards with Xeon chips. The solution, it would seem, is to socketise Xeon Phi and sell it as a 50-core CPU - not co-processor - for the HPC market. Then if customers stick Teslas in the spare PCIe slots, well, it's hardly Intel's fault, is it?

Imagine: a supercomputer that not only has 4,000 GPUs but 4,000 Xeon Phi chips - each of which offers 50 Pentium-class x86 cores. Massively parallel or wot?

9. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Not only a response to ARM but anything that helps sell Xeon Phi chips hurts Nvidia's GPU business and its future server processor business as well as all these guys....
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_architecture#ARM_licensees