1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft unveils Windows Nano Server

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 9 Apr 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

Finally - about damn time MS did something intelligent with their servers.

3. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

FTFY. ;)

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

To be fair, Microsoft has been doing some strangely awesome things lately. Now if they could streamline and polish Windows Media Centre that would be cool.

It should also throw keyboard and pen in with the Surface 3 and definitely should have bought Winamp (I mean, if it can blow $2 billion on Minecraft....). Now that would be something.

5. badgerz

badgerz What's a Dremel?

MS coming for Dockers container Kingdom.

6. ashchap

ashchap Minimodder

This

7. sixfootsideburns

sixfootsideburns modeteer

Microsoft.

Now with less suck.

Nexxo likes this.
  8. PaulC2K

PaulC2K PC Master Race

Out of interest, what does WMC offer which people want, that XBMC/Kodi doesnt?

As for the Surface including a keyboard, ive had my Pro2 for about 18mo and never needed one, i think ive twice plugged one in. The first time out of curiosity, the 2nd because this PC wouldnt display a picture (yey for DisplayPort brilliance!) yet i could remote in and access it, but even then i only used it to reply to someone on Skype, i use TeamViewer into my server, HTPC & gaming PC on a daily basis with just the pen & o/s keyboard.
    So I wouldnt want to told to pay the extra £50 it'd add to include it, if they sell it separately for £70 (70/100 iirc). It certainly wouldnt have been included free, not in any situation where they couldnt still include it free as a bundle offer. So put me firmly into the 'thanks, but no thanks' column. I'd have one, but i've no interest in having that additional cost passed on because some people want it, yet dont seem contempt with the fact that they can buy it if they want it, or buy any other USB kb on the market if that suits their needs better.

A lightweight server sounds nice, but this certainly isnt something of interest to me, its a little too professionally targeted for my needs & ability. WHS & the regular desktop branches are sufficient, familiar and affordable (although no price mentioned here for Nano).

9. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Until recently: cablecard TV, pause live TV. But Kodi has come along marvellously recently. Of course it still requires some computer savvy to set it up (you need to find and install bits like MediaPortal yourself, for instance), whole WMC is an all-in-one solution that is very easy to install. I've been using it since Vista, when Kodi was still XBMC and not nearly as polished as it is now. And of course what was recorded in WMC can only be played back by WMC (yay for DRM!), so I've never felt the need to make the switch. If Windows 10 heralds the death knell of WMC however, Kodi is my next choice.

As for the Surface keyboard: I get your point but £109,-- for a keyboard! At least they could take the price down a little.