1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory Memory stick works in one Motherboard, not in the other - why??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nihilanth, 2 Nov 2011.

1. Nihilanth

Nihilanth "The last...I am the last..."

Hey All,

I have a problem with one 2gb DDR3 memory stick. It works in one motherboard - refuses to work in the other.

I am running a Core i7 920 on an Asus P6Td Motherboard with (what used to be) 6gb of Corsair XMS3 DDR3 memory (this exact product: http://bit.ly/rMwS4G). I noticed that it was only listing 4gb, so I found the faulty stick by removing them all and adding them back one at a time until the dodgy one was revealed (I tried it in different slots to make sure it wasn't the slot that was knackered).

I have temporarily pinched another 2gb stick from one of my other machines (Core i3 530 on a Gigabyte H55N-USB3 motherboard). To humour myself I added the faulty memory into this second PC and it works.

So my question is, why would one memory stick refuse to work on one MB and then work without fault on the other??

Any Ideas??

2. Deders

Deders Modder

Are all the timings and voltages the same on both boards?

3. rob the bank

rob the bank What's a Dremel?

Must admit I see it all the time with Corsair XMS, will work on some mobos but not on others.
    Gigabyte X58 USB struggles to run 6 sticks of Corsair, and some cheap 1155 and 1156 Asus will struggle with 4 sticks, but take a stick or two out and they run fine, we always keep some Kingston in stock just incase.

4. Nihilanth

Voltages are the same on Both boards, and neither are overclocked.

If XMS3 is unreliable, I'm tempted to swap it out for a alternative brand, I'd usually buy from Scan but their range consists of Corsair and Hynix (the Hynix stuff strikes me as being cheap).

I've found some G-skill on Ebuyer at £50 for 12gb (for that price i'm tempted to go for 24gb)

5. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

+ one on this I could never get my UD3 running properly with 6 sticks of corsair xms3. I would also put it down to the flakey X58 memeory controller.

6. Deders

Deders Modder

What about all the timings and sub timings, the motherboard usually decides these when they are installed.

7. Nihilanth

Timings for Machine A (the one that had the issue):
    [​IMG]
    Timings for Machine B (the one I pinched memory from):
    [​IMG]

Bit strange that the former one is running slower than the latter one.....

Cheers guys :)

8. Deders

Deders Modder

You may have your answer there, could be worth going into the bios to double check all the timings too, these are only a small handful of them.

9. hughwi

hughwi Minimodder

I am having this exact problem with my Gigabyte x58, was working fine with 3 sticks of corsair, switched to 6 sticks of patriot, only addresses 5 sticks, updated bios, now wont boot with one particular stick in the board at all, in any slot/combination.

Its more likely you have a motherboard / chipset / controller problem.

10. Nihilanth

I've just replaced the Corsair XMS3 with 24gb of G-Skill DDR3 1333MHz Ripjaws CL9 (9-9-9-24).

24gb seems excessive (and it probably is)

No problems so far (touch wood).

11. towelie

towelie How do I Internet!!

I have 12GB installed XMS3 1600mhz installed on a Asus P6T SE board no problems so far but sometimes on reboot i get could not apply overclock to the ram reboots and it fine.The mobo default the Memory to 1333mhz.I only bought it as it was cheap for a 6GB pack.(Not alcohol related)

12. Deders

Deders Modder

Sometimes you need to loosen the command rate from 1t to 2t when more than 2 sticks of ram are involved.