1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Naval Action

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by DraigUK, 22 Jan 2015.

1. DraigUK

DraigUK Minimodder

So, while I'm giving Elite Dangerous a break until some new multiplayer content arrives, I came across this gem. It really is fantastic!

It's alpha but you can get in now if you want.

Anyone else playing?

Video (yes that is me in the vid)

It's shaping up to be similar to Elite in concept but with ships, it would seem.
    I'm having a great time with it anyway. I think it will be a huge hit if it carries on as is.

It's not a game you can jump in and play for 10 mins, to be aware, and you really need to spend time learning how to sail the ship well, which is a great thing in my opinion.
    For an Alpha it just looks amazing already.

This seems to be shaping up to be a game I'm going to spend a lot of time in, and it's still Alpha!

Last edited: 31 Mar 2015
  2. Scorpuk

Scorpuk Minimodder

Looks fun.

So jumped in and bought the game.

Will see how it plays at the weekend, if I get my key in time. :)

3. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

I spotted this one a year back or so, but it wasn't available. However, I'm in!

4. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

This is definitely something I could easily spend every spare minute playing, I love navigating old ships across the ocean and engaging in the odd bit of tactical warfare with other vessels.

So far the best at it for me has been AC Black Flag's naval combat, which resulted in me completely ignoring the rest of the game and using it as a pirate ship simulator.
    Will absolutely pick this up when I get back home as there is a definite need for a solid naval combat game.

5. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

+1 to that

although hopefully battlestations pacific gets a steamworks patch at some point ( and drops GFWL )

6. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Hm, seems they only release keys on Fridays, so hopefully should get it tomorrow. Does the alpha support multiplayer? If so (or when it does) we need to hot ship on ship Bit-Tech action.

7. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

The current Alpha is just purely multiplayer battles

8. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Looks pretty cool, some other games that might tickle your fancy if you like ships and stuff.

Age of Pirates (once modded/patched they're both pretty good)
    Pirates of the Caribbean (again lots of mods/patches to improve it)
    Hearts of Oak - Being made by some of the same people to make the great mods for the above games
    Caribbean! - Basically a mod for warband but I'm keeping an eye on it.

9. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

[​IMG]

:lol: :p

No, that isn't Shirty

10. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Okay, can I suggest we play next week? Looks like there's a few of us, and we should be past tomorrow's key run. Use the BitTech TS server?

11. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

Got home from work today to see on their purchase page that they've sold out of keys. :(

I've purchased it, but I might not get a key until the 30th.

12. DraigUK

DraigUK Minimodder

Yeah there was 300 players on earlier which is the most I've seen.

It's still at 242 right now.

13. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Dude! At least use spoiler tags. :D

The game reminds me a lot of black flag

14. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Got my code :)

15. Scorpuk

Scorpuk Minimodder

Same here. :thumb:

16. DraigUK

DraigUK Minimodder

Excellent news, will no doubt see you on line when I get home from work.

Some advice for you guys to get you going :-

There are some tutorials up (Ramjb you tube channel as an example, Sidestrafes also has some) that you can find that will show you how to use manual sails.

Use the time you have now to learn how to sail using manual sails as soon as possible.

Get into PvP (first using the PvP Light option) as soon as you can.
    This is where you will learn the most.

The PvE element is ok for testing some guns and so on but the AI isn't up to much so you don't really learn a lot from it.
    Once you have manual sailing sorted you will do well.

• Don't rush through PvE progress to get to the bigger ships too soon.
    • In an upcoming update you will likely not be able to progress to bigger ships from PvE but from PvP only so may as well get in there now.
    • Manual sailing in the bigger ships is crucial to success.
      It is always a useful skill, but starts to become a neccessity from the Brig onwards to do well.
    • The bigger the ship you have the more dependant your team is on you doing well.
    • New captains in big ships who have farmed PvE only to get them are a real liability to the team in PvP.
    • Use the shift key for your telescope.
    • Tap the spacebar to fire a single shot to range your shots. This is VERY important.
    • Once you get the range right unleash a salvo with the right mouse button.
    • Press B for Battle sails.
      This will also help you get shots on target due to the listing at higher speeds - some ships are effected more by this than others.

Have fun! If you need any help just ask here or if I'm online be glad to help there, as I am such a veteran now after 2 weeks or so of play :D

I expect to get into my Victory tonight with only 50k damage or so required. Happy days!

17. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

I might be able to hop on tonight, but it'll be later as I'm out for dinner (ooo, what a treat!). This weekend is then tied up with medicine rubbish :/

I've watched a bunch of tutorial videos, so I should be pretty down pat, though as you say I need to learn manual sails. A ridiculous level of interest in naval history might also help - I've read (and own) books on 18th century frigate/ship of the line architecture along with all the usual histories.

One question I did have, is it possible to fire as you bear? For example, when raking a ship from the stern, your guns only fire as they pass the opposing ship, rather than firing the whole lot at once and wasting shot as only your middle guns will hit?

18. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

19. DraigUK

DraigUK Minimodder

That's not implemented (yet) alpha etc

However...when you fire a full broadside to rake someone the guns don't all fire off at the same time so with judicious use of the rudder and some practice you can ensur ethe majority of the shots hit them in the ass :D

20. DraigUK

DraigUK Minimodder

Current Alpha build plays like WoT or WT in that it puts you into an arena to fight it out as can be seen in the above videos. More involved than WoT for sure, and it is very early days and it will get more involved/realistic with improved damage models etc coming in very soon. ships being able to explode/catch fire shots being deflected/bouncing depending on angle of fire etc etc

Please remember this is ALPHA so many things are either not there at all, or placeholders etc

However that is not what the game will be about, it is going to be an open world game with trading, fighting and many other things to do. Think of Elite in ships is probably the easiest comparison.

It isn't free to play or anything like that. No monthly subs. So pay once and that should be it (assuming future expansions exempt of course).

Cheap enough now and won't be going down in price, I think if anything it will go up, so if you are interrsted i'd get it now.