1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks What is the 5G option on my router?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hirezo, 20 Jan 2013.

1. hirezo

hirezo Minimodder

i got my router a couple of weeks back and have it running.

when i set it up i found out that it has 2 different ways of connect, one being the normal router frequency and one called " 'networkname' 5g"

after i set a password on both i tried to connect to the 5g network as i assumed being called 5g it will have a faster connection (assumptions the mother of all..)

it seems to have given me a speed boost on my macbook but the problem is that my computers wifi antennae are within range but dont pick up on the 5g network. am i missing something? and also can somebody please tell me if my if i was right in assuming the 5g connection is better??

TIA!

2. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

"Normal" is 2.4GHz, "5G" is the alternate 5GHz for 802.11n. If your device doesn't support the 5GHz frequency for 802.11n (or doesn't support 802.11n), then of course you can't use that one for that device.

hirezo likes this.
  3. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

First an explanation as to what the 5GHz frequency means for you. [TL;DR below]

Currently/for a long time wireless devices have operated at 2.4GHz. So imagine your two wireless devices as two people sat next to each other talking. Sitting by themselves they can talk comfortably, hear everything each other says and have an efficient conversation. For simplicity we'll have each network as two people talking to each other e.g. router and laptop. Also we can imagine our people talking in the same/identical deep tone e.g. communication at 2.4GHz.

Now lets say your neighbour builds a wireless network too. Now you have two groups near to each other talking. No problem. Although everyone is talking in the same deep voice each pair still manages to make out what's being said by its partner from what the neighbours are saying. Now through in your neighbours neighbours neighbours wireless networks. Add to it baby monitors, wireless door bells, cordless telephones, Bluetooth, car remotes, microwaves, other wireless devices like video senders and more. All communicating in the same deep voice. In other words all these devices are running in the 2.4GHz region making it hard for the devices to distinguish and hear their partner over everyone else.

This is known as interference. This affects your wireless speeds and range. One solution around this is to run your devices in a frequency no one else is using. Think of it like deciding to talk in high pitched voices so that you can identify and hear your partner's voice amidst everyone else. Now you can talk more comfortably because you're not having to pick out your partner form all the interfering conversations.
    Although if suddenly everyone switched to 5GHz networks we could be in the same situation as the start.

[TL;DR]
    Going back to your question. You need your pair of wireless devices to be capable of running over 5GHz to make use of it. The wifi card in your MacBook is 5GHz capable the one in your PC isn't. If you want to use it on your PC wou'll need to upgrade the wifi card on your PC. You lucked out if I'm honest. Not all routers can run 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks simultaneously.

hirezo likes this.
  4. hirezo

hirezo Minimodder

ah wicked, thanks for the help guys. cleared that up for me! :D

@ferret great explanation dude! rep!