1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Twitter valued at $1 billion

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 25 Sep 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Overrated, bloated piece of Web2.0 hype.

3. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

4. logan'srun

logan'srun following the footsteps of giants

wow, I must say I've never read Twitter or even been to their website - and I'm not saying that because I'm aloof or think I'm special. I've just never been there. is there really that much potential to make money on Twitter at it can be valued so high, or is this just another way to ensure we stay in the so called 'Economy Crisis' for another 5 years?

I mean, maybe I'm old, but what really is the allure in reading that your friend had a tuna on rye twitter that is so appealing?

5. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

Twitter sucks, it's death is inevitable.

6. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

Personally, Twitter was fun for literally 5 days, then I got bored and haven't been back.

If I owned Twitter - I would float it, make a billion dollars and hide on a desert island because the investors would soon realise what a well-marketed con the whole thing is.

7. kosch

kosch Trango in the Mango

Twitter valued at wasting an estimated $1 billion worth of man hours since its incecption.

8. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

I use twitter more than any other network. Simple, quick and integrates well into Firefox through extensions. I have enough friends on there and follow some news services.

9. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

I find it funny how no one who uses it has realised how utterly pointless it is. Every time I hear someone say "oh so-and-so twittered this", I just want to punch them square in the face.

It seems that anyone can come up with some pointless idea and put it on the web, so long as it's addictive enough and draws people in then people will be willing to throw money at you. Look at what you get for that $1billion; the company has next to no assets whatsoever, is making very little profit, and has a business model that relies on the fickle Internet-goers who are just looking for that next popular social networking site to dump all of their spare time into.

I say we all blame Stephen Fry.

10. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

11. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

From what I understand, text messaging never really took off in the States the way it did in, say, the UK. Twitter basically appears to be public text messaging for the always-connected age of the internet, at least IMO.

Not seen the appeal of it myself, but then I've avoided things like Facebook/Myspace/Livejournal like the plague as well.

12. coolius

coolius What's a Dremel?

13. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

Total BS, there's one mate whose feed I follow, the other guy has his own blog and just puts the tweets on there so you stay on the one page to see everything. I'll never, ever use Twitter myself after letting myself get caught up in the Facebook hype (and I haven't lost the irony of not being friends anymore with the person that introduced me to FB).

14. ToMMo

ToMMo What's a Dremel?

I think from a commercial point of view its the future applications it may have. I heard one report that mentioned having sensors in almost everything that were connected to Twitter. The example they used were sensors in your plants and they would send you a message when they needed watering. When you think of it from that point of view rather than a social networking side you start to see why people pump money into this for these little gimmicks. However, I myself have never used Twitter so probably don't know what I'm talking about :D

15. rshoerack

rshoerack Stingrays rule OK

For something supposedly worth $1bn, everytime I've tried to use it there's been at least one technical clart up or another.

That plus the twee graphics makes me feel like I'm trapped on the Loco Roco loading screen.

16. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

twitter = useless pile of crap. I don't really care what you're doing right now, nor does anyone else

17. El Rando

El Rando I know what a dremel is

$1 Billion ey...I say bit-tech start one of these thingy's and call it www.bitterbobookface.com
    Just think, with all of us guys behind you, you'll be bathing in money in no time.

18. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

No, I'm afraid we'd also have to involve some talentless celebrities to achieve that kind of success.

19. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

It shouldn't be too hard to get people like Kanye on board though. Just spread rumors about award ceremonies... ;)

Tags: Add Tags