1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Folding@home and room heating (+donations??)

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by vasileioszografos, 23 Feb 2013.

1. vasileioszografos

vasileioszografos What's a Dremel?

Hey folks,

so since as they say the Devil finds work for idle hands, I have been considering a new folding-related small project to keep me busy.

Now I dont want to keep folding on the hexacore 4.5Ghz 3GPU PC I have (showoff!! :D ), so I was thinking of bulding a new, inexpensive small factor pc with some okayish CPU and one or two moderate gpus where I can do folding 24/7.

In particular I would like to build something that generates quite some heat that I can perhaps use as a passive room heater.

I would like to experiment with that to see if I can build some small, cheap, (relatively quietish), heat generating units that can be stacked together to heat a room while doing folding work. Ok so electricity for heat is not ideal but knowing that you are helping science should still make you feel good ;).

So my question is. Do you guys have any suggestions for cases, cpus, gpus and motherboards? I stress that I want something small and inexpensive. Preferrably second hand hardware.

Which brings me to my second point. If you guys have any old hardware to donate that can be used for my folding project please let me know. They will be more than welcome.

If it goes well I might build some kind of blog about it and describe the progress.

Many thanks
    Vasileios

2. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

If you want a GPU that uses lots of power but still runs Folding@home, try a GTX 480. It may be a bit noisy for you, it's like having a fan heater running.

No, I don't have one spare.