1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD Bulldozer chip allegedly benchmarked

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 6 Jul 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

Last edited: 6 Jul 2011
  2. Woollster00

Woollster00 What's a Dremel?

Would you be tempted by an AMD FX system with this level of performance? Does the Bulldozer architecture have any hope of competing with Intel's Sandy Bridge and LGA2011 processors?

No and No.

3. stoff3r

stoff3r What's a Dremel?

This level of performance... Oh well, If it's cheap and cheerful then.

BTW when's LGA2011 coming out? In time for Battlefield 3?

4. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

So what have we lernt from this article,
    We have an unidentified chip, running on beta drivers from a Czech site whos credability is unknown.

Think im gonna get more info befor selling my AMD shares : )

5. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

Wow - not even 2% in it and people are writing off bulldozer on PRE-PRODUCTION parts? idiots, seriously. Wait until the retail parts hit the shelves before making a judgement folks.

6. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

As above really, wait until more testing has been done.
    And tbh, if it comes in at £200, then near 990x performance for that isn't DREADFUL now is it.
    We know so few details, waaay too much speculation.

7. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

as soon as i read quad-SLi, i have written off any credibility in these benchmarks.

use a single GPU to remove any unoptimised drivers. multi-GPU technology rely HEAVILY on drivers, and at end of the day, drivers are just lower level x86 code running on CPU. so optimised driver for CPU architecture can make quite a bit of difference.

also, 990x isn't exactly flagship when compared single-thread gaming performance of sandy bridges.

8. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

I'm interested to know how he got 4-way SLi to work, given that a slide earlier on in the article says the chipset only does 2 or 3 way SLi. Also, why no EFI BIOS? Surely this should be a must have on a top end chipset?

9. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

They're using SLI, their argument is invalid. You've got to wonder - are they testing CPUs or GPUs here?

10. TheUn4seen

TheUn4seen What's a Dremel?

Damn, that's one huge socket.

As for the article - I want Bulldozer to be earth-shattering, but I don't expect it to be. Actually, I think it will be like Phenoms, first gen will be a complete disappointment, second will be better but still poor. So, for the second time in many years I just bought an Intel CPU (2600k). Now, how about that Zotac Z68-ITX review you promised? I need a worthy replacement for my insane little H55N-USB3.

11. Technobod

Technobod Minimodder

Ok then, lets be really generous and say that a production part has 15% better performance than a pre-production sample.. fair? ok, that still makes this 'top of the range' and overclocked chip slower than an 1156 OC'd setup.

But agreeably and SLi setup is not the correct way to assess a chips performance.

12. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

Just games tested? Nothing to test the power of 8 cores over 6? Pre production model, and it still overclocks to 4GHz? I draw no conclusions at all, other than waiting for a proper review.

13. Jaybles

Jaybles Minimodder

SLI is new on AMD CPUs and Boards is it not? This also seems an odd way of testing the system.

Both systems were overclocked to 4Ghz...
    Maybe this chip can be overclocked above SandyB levels easily and thats where its true performance lies.
    I think a better test would be to overclock each chip as far as possible and then run a proper set of CPU benchmarks.

14. Action_Parsnip

Action_Parsnip What's a Dremel?

1) The chip is unreleased, as is its proper bios.

2) SLI is flaky and underperforming on 990fx boards

Does everest stil report the L2 and L3 caches as disabled on this sample? Like all the other benchmarked engineering samples we have seen?

HMMMM YES WELL I DUNNO MAYBE WE SHOULD RESERVE JUDGEMENT THEN EH

15. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

So Bulldozer can almost match the performance of Intel's CPU architecture from 2008? Sounds great, where I can sign up?

I bet they're lolling their asses off at Intel.

16. Boogle

Boogle What's a Dremel?

So the i7-990X has 6 cores and costs £800 on it's lonesome. The FX is likely to be a lot cheaper, and doesn't require a super-expensive motherboard, and has an additional 2 cores. Quite frankly if the FX CPU is as cheap as it should be, I can't see a problem at all.

OK AMD aren't beating Intel outright. However, the AMD Radeon series seem to be selling well despite not being faster than NV's fastest.

17. Hakuren

Hakuren What's a Dremel?

While I didn't expected Bulldozer to beat Intel X58 platform at all; Benchmarks of CPU with GPUs oriented/heavy setup is completely pointless. True power of CPU is tested when you using good old PCI VGA. Why do you think best OC board on the market (Gigabyte X58-OC) is equipped with 1 PCI slot? Because it is required when you want to see how CPU really performs (and with extreme OC - LN2 it is a must). All stuff which potentially clogs up PCI-Express has to go if you running serious benching session in search of true CPU performance. One of many reasons why good old PCI shouldn't die.

18. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

Just to clarify: within 2% of the 990x performance for over £400 less. Wow.

19. BlackRaven

BlackRaven Freaking printers!

20. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

Well at least it ain't a proper turkey. Now we just have to wait for proper chips, proper tests and a price mark. I think with all the slating bulldozer is getting, a few people might be pleasantly surprised.

Tags: Add Tags