1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage C300, worth upgrading?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Viking, 17 Apr 2012.

1. Viking

Viking What's a Dremel?

Hello,

I have trying to figure out much SSDs have moved on since I bought myCrucial C300 128 GB.

Is it worth upgrading it to an M4 for example or hasnt SSD moved on enough to warrent an upgrade?

I would welcome everyone's thoughts

Cheers
    Jon

2. Farting Bob

Farting Bob What's a Dremel?

They've moved on, but not by huge amounts. And the C300 was the best in class when it was out. I doubt that your PC will "feel" any faster with a M4 or Samsung 830 etc etc.

Really unless you know you could sell your current SSD for a decent amount, its not worth the upgrade cost.

3. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

Not worth it. Having played with a few new SSDs- I don't see any reason to upgrade. If I wanted to see a real difference I would RAID SSD's or go for PCI-E SSD's.

4. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

I was mighty tempted to upgrade my SSD from an Intel X-25M 80gb model to a 128gb m4, but I don't REALLY need more space, and my mobo is not sata III. So for me, I'd have to do a whole mobo/cpu/ram upgrade just to get a new SSD. My rig still does what I need it to, so for me, I can't justify it.

5. Concrete-Coffin

Concrete-Coffin Minimodder

i changed my c300 for a m4 not much difference really but i got a good price when i sold mine as it was only 8months old keep your cash and wait and see whats coming out

6. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i went from C300 64GB to M4 128GB last night, did notice a massive speed improvement, but i figure that's due to a number of other factors: user profile is now on SSD, more programs are installed to the SSD and fresh Windows install.

when i first imaged C300 64GB to the M4, there is zero noticeable difference. same when i imaged first gen Samsung 64GB (very slow, around 90/70) to C300 64GB (300/90?), absolutely zero noticeable every day speed difference.

so if you are not going to go up in SSD volume, it's totally not worth buying a new one until your current one dies.

3lusive likes this.
  7. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

That's what I'v been trying to tell people who are obsessing over the differences in read/write performance of the top end ssds, when in reality most people couldn't tell the difference between 1/2/3rd gen ssds because their real-world usage patterns do not benefit from the differences in any meaningful way.

So reliability and cost should be most people's concerns, unless you have an exceptionally heavy multi-task usage pattern, but those people are in the minority by far.

8. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

As everybody has said, not worth it unless you do tons of writes, which is where a new SSD will show its advantages. Otherwise, no point at all.

9. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Since the M4 is a tweaked and re-badged C300 anyway, the average user would not notice a vast difference in performance.

If you have funds for a new one, why not just add an M4 and keep the C300 for storage? Maybe stick Steam on it so all of your games benefit from the impressive read speeds?

10. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

With Intel beginning to dump new, cheap(ish) SSD's onto the market we might start to see a bit of a shift in prices as well.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/16/intel-330-series-ssds-official-prices-start-at-89/

$149 MSRP for 120GB Intel 330 SSD SATA 6Gbps rated at 450MB/sec using 25nm NAND.
    Not too shabby- considering Intel's reliability. Hopefully it'll start a trend downwards (again).

11. Shirty

Sadly from experience a $149 price tag will equate to a £149 price tag over here - which is equivalent to >$235. Americans always get stuff a lot cheaper than us :wallbash:

See here.

12. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

Very true. I went home for Christmas (Canada) and all the major SSD's for "$1 per GB" on sale... Kingston Hyper-X 120GB for $120? Yes sir - Maybe I have another?

It does bug me- living here in the UK (as a student) but buying everything via Canadian and US sites... I just line-up my purchases with trips back home. Alternatively if any family is flying to Europe I use them as a convenient hardware shuttle.

Mom: "Do you need any extra clothes?"
    Me: "Nah, just the SSD and GPU".
    Mom: "..."

:D

13. Shirty

Lucky b'stard! Canada's great too. :waah:

14. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

Have you? (i simply don't recall seeing anything rather than disputing the fact)

Yeah, in principle, i partially agree with this - & is why i've recommended lower spec drives for something like a games only installation SSD (& also looking at the light & heavy b/ms from Anand to see which usage yours is most like) - but the same argument could be used for most of the components in a machine...

Well, the vast majority of the time for the vast majority of users, the processor & memory & gfx card &... ...are all idling away &/or not being used anything approaching their full potential the majority of the time...

...*but*, forgetting 'showing off', people buy higher spec components for the times when the actual potential, that's not used the majority of the time, will make a meaningful difference.

So, whilst it's by & large correct that, for the majority of the time, the majority of users wouldn't notice a difference, it's not to say that it won't make a meaningful difference irl to them at all...

...esp since some of the cheaper options @ the 120/128GB level have slow read &/or write speeds & the 6Gb/s 60/64GB ones are much slower than the 6Gb/s 120/128GB ones.

Also, for a general user, you do also have to look at are the added benefits that come with different models...

So the SFs with raise & nand longevity / the SFs, 830 & V4 with GC in non-trim / the enhanced write speeds with the higher end models / the use of higher spec nand in different models / etc...

...all of which *can* make a difference to the more general user - rather than just the high end multitasker.

[NB whilst we partially disagree about this, reliability is predominantly down to luck with the major brands - all of them have 'cocked up' &/or been shonky at different times... ...& if you have unresolvable issues then you return it for an alt SSD - much as you would with any other component.]​

Lastly, since they were all used on a single machine between 2009-11, with nothing else being altered, i could certainly tell the difference between a single V Turbo, 2 V Turbos, 2 V Turbos on the lsi card & 4 V2s on the lsi card...

...but then that's me for my usage.