1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is F@H seriously down on numbers or is this a Typo?

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Unicorn, 7 Feb 2014.

1. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I was looking at the nice new F@H website on http://folding.stanford.edu today* and noticed that it says "today we are 167,627 strong". Is it just me or could this not possibly be correct? There were millions of people contributing when I was folding a couple of years ago, with tens of millions of computers. How could this possibly be down to less than 200,000?

After years of inactivity, I've fired up some clients on an old folding rig which was has been doing grunt work like HDD cloning and web access in the workshop recently.

Last edited: 7 Feb 2014
  2. StreetSam

StreetSam Minimodder

Active contributors. The number of active contributors has always been that low, the millions stat is a count of people that have ever contributed.

3. Unicorn

I thought of that too, but I had no idea the number of active contributors was so low!

4. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

The number of Active's in our team is only 227 (out of a total of 9291 contributors) :sigh:

5. johnim40

johnim40 Minimodder

its sad but i think the cost off electric doesn't help

6. Unicorn

The cost of electricity is what made me stop at 10 million. I would love nothing more than to build a few more rigs again and fold 24/7, but it's far too expensive to do so these days. I have been investing money lately to reduce my running costs in the long term, and to start folding again at the level I did before would render all of that pointless. I'm pretty impressed with the V7 client though, and will run that on a couple of machines which are on 24/7 anyway - the server and grunt workstation,

7. johnim40

johnim40 Minimodder

i have 3 machines folding

1 with 2x 660
    1 with 2x 760
    a with a 660ti

our household elec bill is £35pw

8. DocJonz

Wish mine was just £35pw :hehe::hehe:

9. johnim40

johnim40 Minimodder

what is yours?

10. DocJonz

Let's just say its more than twice my council tax ... and I don't live in a terrace cottage ;)

11. johnim40

johnim40 Minimodder

12. DocJonz

If Nelio was doing Folding@Home (rather than Folding@Work) then his electricity bill would make mine pale into insignificance ...

13. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

electric costs and people being jailed for running this and seti@home on work pc`s , that and there money to be made from crypto coins , has put a dent in using your pc time for this

14. Unicorn

Sorry, what?!

As far as the household bills go, £35 per week is fine and you obviously have some nice economical PCs running there, but none of my kit was current or even last generation when I was folding - it was all 2-3 generations of CPU and GPU family old, so it was much harder to run and I couldn't afford to swap it out for less power hungry stuff at the time. When I ran them in my student house at uni they chewed through a lot of electricity without being too obtrusive (ran in the garage) but when they came home to the workshop they heated the place up so much that I had to run a portable AC unit for several months of the year.

Most of all, when I set my heart on getting Project GT4 off the ground I decided that all other hobbies would get the axe, and as much as I loved contributing to the project, F@H was a hobby which was costing me money that I needed to save for something else.

Last edited: 8 Feb 2014
  15. benji2412

benji2412 <insert message here>

Have any of you thought of installing PV systems if you're using so much electricity for folding? You'll get paid to generate it too, even if you're not selling it back to the grid.

16. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

Cost of buying anything decent to run F@H on is my issue.
    I don't want to spend aload of money on a rig just for folding and on the other hand if it's not netting a decent amount of points then no use running.

Need an article on building a budget folding rig.
    MATX folding rig - Now that would be sweet. Small rig out of the way.

17. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I stopped due to elec/not having the suitable hardware anymore.
    I've currently only got a single PC with a stock 670, and it's loud, so running it 24x7 is basically out of the question (since it's only a couple of metres from my head when I sleep), and I also game on it most evenings, so would have to stop it for that. Might be able to run it whilst at work though, would be nice to get involved again.

18. StreetSam

StreetSam Minimodder

Any MATX board from the last five years with two PCIe x16 slots would be fine. Say a 775 board with a Q6600. A 500W PSU, 2Mb of RAM, any old HD and two 660Tis would net 130,000PPD. If brought second hand it wouldn't cost more than £350. Then you would only need a case and OS.

Or you could go the single 7970 route it would be ~£40 cheaper but be good for 110,000PPD

19. Unicorn

I had mATX folding rigs in 2010. They didn't produce 110,000 PPD though!

20. StreetSam

StreetSam Minimodder

That is because of the GPU core17 with QRB. Those figures didn't even factor in CPU Folding. The CPU is just there to support the GPU.