1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by The_Pope, 31 Mar 2006.

1. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

2. stephen2002

stephen2002 What's a Dremel?

Great review espeically the graphics testing. It's amazing how detailed the game is and it's amazing the variety of settings that they let you mess around with, and apparently there is an .ini file in there that lets you really customise how things are drawn in the game.

3. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Sounds like a game that eats toasted silicon for lunch.

4. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

I picked this game up for my 360 a couple days ago after reading on and on in our console gaming forum about it and I must say.... I absolutely love this game. This is coming from someone who normally doesn't care for RPGs and has never played an Elder Scroll game before at all.

What actually drew me into the game was being able to pickpocket every single character in the game and being able to break into every house/store and rob them blind. I've been so naughty though that out of 135 game days that have passed (IIRC that's how many have passed), I've spent 88 of those days in jail. I started killing gaurds in the Imperial City and had a bounty on my head of 7000 gold coins and gave up and let them take me to jail instead of paying it off. I love being able to walk back into the jail and steal all the stolen goods back that they confiscated off of me during the arrest.

One thing about the game that I can't seem to do is actually read the damned books instead of quickly flipping through the pages to get the "book read." I mean, heck, some of these books are 80+ pages with several volumes in them! At 240 books read....that's alot of time I would have spent just reading books. Albeit after I finish the main quest my goal is to go back and read all of the books and fill my houses to the brim with nice wares and do all of the side quests and such.

I find myself anticipating 4:30PM to roll around every day so I can get home and get back to playing. I've lost out on so much sleep the past few days because of this game that it's rediculous....but yet it's awesome. I've haven't had a game draw me this much into obsession for a very long time.

A note to anyone who picks up this game for either the 360 or for their computer.... prepare to not sleep much and become obsessed with finishing little quests and such. Also, try and make your way west to one of the little castles that's on the coast (can't think of it's name off the top of my head) and check out the view across the sea. It's friggen beautiful!

5. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

whats the graphics compare like rom the xbox to the the high end PC's. Trying to work out if I'll be better of buying the xbox, or spending silly money upgrading my whole PC, cause at the moment I have a feeling it will destroy my current machine.

6. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

Well, YOu get AA andHDR on the 360 where you only get one or the other on the PC.

7. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

I got the PC collectors version, just for the map editor and player mods, it's a touch more tweakable aswell and runs like a dream on my system :)

Oh, and you geta funky little septim coin and a little book with the collectors version

8. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

I tried to get that but was let down by the vendor, and now nowhere has the PC collectors edition in stock as far as I can see. Going to take it as a a sign that my PC would not have coped and that I should hold off for a while

9. Ab$olut

Ab$olut What's a Dremel?

Alot of people have been having issues with this game even with fx60s etc I think a patch would get them frames up...

Although it looks like a fun game should be getting it once I have my x2 + 7900gt :D

10. Garside

Garside What's a Dremel?

I have been managing okay with the game and I have a 9800 Radeon Pro, 2100+ Thunderbird and 1 gb of RAM (2700). A lot of people are saying that you need the best computer in the world to enjoy this title - its simply not true!

However, if I have more than one enemy on screen I have to stick the difficulty setting right down to get past them - it jerks far too much.

11. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

I don't know, personally, though it's a fair question. Ask yourself what you would do with either a super-fast PC or an Xbox 360 *after* you've finished playing ES4... Also, keyboard & mouse + desk vs wireless controller + sofa?

12. Cobalt

Cobalt What's a Dremel?

I agree with garside. I'm running a 3200 OCed to 2.4GHz 1 GB of RAM and a stock 9800pro. 1024 with medium detail (distant land off though) and i get a average of around 36fps which is quite sufficient for me. I have tweaked windows and oblivion extensivly though so I'm probably in a best case scenario.

My friend however... well thats a different story. He thought hed be alright with 512mb of RAM and a PCI FX5200. When he found out he couldn't run it he was devestated. So he orders an extra 1GB of RAM only to find out (as I had said all along) it did nothing to improve the performance. I told him he wouldn't be able to get a PCI gfx card to run this game and now he wants a new mobo + an AGP card. Problem is he knows little about so he asks me to spec him something cheap. A quick search around gets him a suitable upgrade for £120 but his mum doesn't trust me and they had a big falling out over the whole deal.

Well back to my level four wood elf bow master (custom class which I couldn't think of a decent name for)

13. chemo

chemo True Jungle Brother

i agree, it looks like its making what i thought to be high quality gear look pretty poor :(

14. EK-MDi

EK-MDi What's a Dremel?

Wow! That just goes to show what a performer the Xbox 360 can be, which plays the game at maximum detail, in HD resolutions, with very very rare lag occurences, unlike a PC with an Nvidia 7900GTX and FX-60, which has trouble doing so.

15. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Quite glad i've left this purchase out till I upgrade. Phew, thats intense!

16. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I don't suppose anyone has a clue as to how a 7900GT would hold up against 1920x1200 with the right detail settings... I've got my 6800GT going at 1184x840 (or whatever it is) which is playable by all means but not stunning.
    I want to get back to playing, though, at any res right now. Stupid school projects...

17. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Define 'right detail settings...' :) FWIW, two 7900gtx cards in SLI just barely kept up at 1900x1200, all settings max. BARELY.

18. Tim S

Tim S OG

Around 30fps average through our test section, IIRC. :)

19. specofdust

specofdust Banned

30 sounds nice, indeed I played FEAR through with an FPS of 30, but that was only because it was a fairly stable 30, it didn't venture down to 10 or 15FPS every 30 seconds. Minimum FPS is very important, but also the stability of an FPS is important, when cutting it as close as 30.

20. r3Q

r3Q Minimodder

Last edited: 31 Mar 2006
Tags: Add Tags