1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Windows 8 launch date confirmed as 26th October

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 19 Jul 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

I had read somewhere that the EU was about to kick off because the choice window disappeared when Windows 7 went Service Pack 1. Microsoft have apparently already addressed this but the EU do like to bitch slap Microsoft every now and then so expect a hefty fine.

3. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

I support Microsoft's endeavours to bail out the EU debt crisis. Intentionally or otherwise. :p

4. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

So, stock up on Win 7 licenses before mid October...

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

6. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

Is anyone planning to upgrade? Metro just looks...Naff.

7. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

I wonder if it'll drop on MSDN AA before that...

8. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Like they state over on The Register: "Now Microsoft has 101 days to come up with an explanation for Metro". :p

9. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Not here. None of the people I know who tried the pre-release versions are convinced either, with the most common response to it being "unusable".

10. Somer_Himpson

Somer_Himpson What's a Dremel?

Why didn't they just call it Windows Tablet and not bother releasing it for desktops?
    Completely pointless from a desktop perspective, short of confusing you when you click on the desktop 'tile'

11. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I think Metro is hit and miss. Some people like it, some don't. Last time I tried it, there was no off for it, and imo MS should have had the option to just use the traditional desktop if you choose to with the start menu.

12. Petrol head

Petrol head What's a Dremel?

I have to confess I will be giving this a miss. I am confused about one thing though. If they do not provide a browser with the operating system, how would you download another browser?

13. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I'll be upgrading to Windows 8.
    My only complain so far, is that the default Start Screen layout sucks really bad for non-tablet devices. But once you arrange everything, create and name groups, and add folders to it, it's fine.

14. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

They do. IE is integrated into the core of Windows 8, even moreso than in 7, you literally cannot replace it and maintain the same functionality because of just how much it's been plugged into things like the crappy Metro interface.

15. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

ViStart worked for me on the RC. Removed metro and made the whole experience feel like W7. I'm sure some more "official" way of achieving this will come along very promptly.

16. Zero_UK

Zero_UK What's a Dremel?

Finally took a look at Windows 8..

W8 for desktops is just W7 with fancy animations and a pretty face. A desktop OS should be practical with a user friendly GUI; encouraging simplicity and high performance. The OS should not be jumping out at you every second like some attention seeking child, it should be doing its job in the background making it easier for the user to use applications.

In fact, W8 breaks many established principles on a good GUI design by basing metro around horizontal scrolling, big flashing and changing animations, LOADS of colour that it is difficult to just glance over and spot a file. It looks unattractive on a big screen as it is just wasteful blocks of colour everywhere - smart phones and tablets have tiny displays in comparison making it not so bold.

Metro is a good idea for phones and touch screen tablets as small text/icons are less user friendly to be pressing all day and as there is only 2-6 tiles per screen it is easily read and when one changes it is not so distracting. But wow, on a desktop seeing loads of tiles update at once and sliding along just slows down navigation and is distracting.

W8 built for tablets/phones, but marketed to desktops too for some more sales.

17. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

I have a pretty vast stash : )

18. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

The metro interface is coming to the Windows 2012 server btw! Ridiculous.

19. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

As long as IE 10 is a good enough browser, I dont mind it being the only browser available.

I'll probably give win 8 a miss until its more mature (sp1 at least) or until win 9 comes out. Its hard not to compare win 8 to vista in what its trying to do.

20. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

The ironic thing is that Windows 8 is actually faster and less PC intensive than Windows 7 in some cases, to the point where you even see higher framerates in games from running windows 8 instead of 7.

Tags: Add Tags